Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Celebrity'
- a widely known person; "he was a baseball celebrity" [syn: famous person}]
- the state or quality of being widely honored and acclaimed [syn: fame, renown] [ant: infamy]
- Celebrity \Ce*leb"ri*ty\, n.; pl. Celebrities. [L. celebritas:
cf. F. c['e]l['e]brit['e].]
- Celebration; solemnization. [Obs.] The celebrity of the marriage. --Bacon.
- The state or condition of being celebrated; fame; renown; as, the celebrity of Washington. An event of great celebrity in the history of astronomy. --Whewell.
- A person of distinction or renown; -- usually in the plural; as, he is one of the celebrities of the place.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Celebrity'
A celebrity (sometimes referred to as a celeb in popular culture) is a person who is easily recognized in a society or culture.
Generally speaking, a celebrity is someone who gets media attention and in certain circumstances show an extroverted personality. There is a wide range of ways by which people may become celebrities: from their profession, appearances in the mass media, or even by complete accident or infamy. Instant celebrity is the term that is used when someone becomes a celebrity in a very short period of time. In some places, someone that somehow achieves a small amount of transient fame, through hype or mass media, is stereotyped as a B-grade celebrity. Often the stereotype extends to someone that falls short of mainstream or persistent fame but seeks to extend or exploit it. In the 21st century, the insatiable public fascination for celebrities and demand for celebrity gossip has seen the rise of the gossip columnist, tabloid, paparazzi and celebrity blogging.[See more about Celebrity at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Celebrity'
'Celebrity' in famous quotation sentence
* A sign of a celebrity is that his name is often worth more than his services. - Daniel J. Boorstin
* The nice thing about being a celebrity is that when you bore people, they think it's their fault. - Henry Kissinger
Click here for more related quotations on 'Celebrity'