Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Catchword'
- Catchword \Catch"word`\, n.
- Among theatrical performers, the last word of the preceding speaker, which reminds one that he is to speak next; cue.
- (Print.) The first word of any page of a book after the first, inserted at the right hand bottom corner of the preceding page for the assistance of the reader. It is seldom used in modern printing.
- A word or phrase caught up and repeated for effect; as, the catchword of a political party, etc.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Catchword'
A catchword is a word placed at the foot of a handwritten or printed page that is meant to be bound along with other pages in a book. The word anticipates the first word of the following page. It was meant to help the bookbinder or printer make sure that the leaves were bound in the right order or that the pages were set up in the press in the right order. Catchwords appear in some medieval manuscripts, and appear again in printed books late in the fifteenth century. The practice became widespread in the mid sixteenth century, and prevailed until the arrival of industrial printing techniques late in the eighteenth century.
Theodore Low Devinne's 1901 guide on Correct Composition had this to say:
For more than three centuries printers of books appended at the foot of every page the first word or syllable of the next page. This catchword was supposed to be needed by the reader to make clear the connection between the two pages ; but the catchword is now out of use, and it is not missed.[See more about Catchword at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Catchword'
Catchword Sample Sentences in News
- Parallels in Golf and Life
Every sport has different benefits and different life lessons to learn and incorporate into your life. Every sport has different mantras. A mantra is a catchword or phrase. It becomes a motto or rule of behavior for that particular sport. Read more on this news related to 'Catchword'
- ‘Sustainability’ key in May 9 ‘Green Fair’ in Madison
MADISON – “Sustainability” will be the catchword when the fourth annual “Madison Green Fair” showcases environmentally-friendly products, services and practices from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, May 9, Read more on this news related to 'Catchword'