Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Catawba'
Catawba Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a member of the Siouan people formerly living in the Carolinas
- slip-skin reddish American table grape
- the Siouan language spoken by the Catawba people
- Fox \Fox\, n.; pl. Foxes. [AS. fox; akin to D. vos, G. fuchs,
OHG. fuhs, foha, Goth. fa['u]h?, Icel. f?a fox, fox fraud; of
unknown origin, cf. Skr. puccha tail. Cf. Vixen.]
- (Zo["o]l.) A carnivorous animal of the genus Vulpes, family Canid[ae], of many species. The European fox (V. vulgaris or V. vulpes), the American red fox (V. fulvus), the American gray fox (V. Virginianus), and the arctic, white, or blue, fox (V. lagopus) are well-known species. Note: The black or silver-gray fox is a variety of the American red fox, producing a fur of great value; the cross-gray and woods-gray foxes are other varieties of the same species, of less value. The common foxes of Europe and America are very similar; both are celebrated for their craftiness. They feed on wild birds, poultry, and various small animals. Subtle as the fox for prey. --Shak.
- (Zo["o]l.) The European dragonet.
- (Zo["o]l.) The fox shark or thrasher shark; -- called also sea fox. See Thrasher shark, under Shark.
- A sly, cunning fellow. [Colloq.] We call a crafty and cruel man a fox. --Beattie.
- (Naut.) Rope yarn twisted together, and rubbed with tar; -- used for seizings or mats.
- A sword; -- so called from the stamp of a fox on the blade, or perhaps of a wolf taken for a fox. [Obs.] Thou diest on point of fox. --Shak.
- pl. (Enthnol.) A tribe of Indians which, with the Sacs, formerly occupied the region about Green Bay, Wisconsin; -- called also Outagamies. Fox and geese. (a) A boy's game, in which one boy tries to catch others as they run one goal to another. (b) A game with sixteen checkers, or some substitute for them, one of which is called the fox, and the rest the geese; the fox, whose first position is in the middle of the board, endeavors to break through the line of the geese, and the geese to pen up the fox. Fox bat (Zo["o]l.), a large fruit bat of the genus Pteropus, of many species, inhabiting Asia, Africa, and the East Indies, esp. P. medius of India. Some of the species are more than four feet across the outspread wings. See Fruit bat.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Catawba'
- Catawba: Catawba may refer to several things: Catawba (tribe), a Native American tribe. Catawban languages Botany : name used by the Catawba and other ...
- Catawba people: The Catawba (also known as Issa or Esaw, but most commonly Iswa) are a federally recognized nation of Native Americans , known as the ...
- Catawba (grape): Catawba is a red hybrid grape variety used for wine as well as juice , jam s and jellies . The grape can have a pronounced musky or " ...
- Catawba College: Catawba College is a private, coeducational liberal arts college in Salisbury, North Carolina , USA . Catawba County , before moving to ...
- Catawba County, North Carolina: Catawba County is a county located in the U.S. state of North Carolina . As of 2000, the population was 141,685. Its county seat is ...
- Catawba River: The Catawba River (named after the Native American tribes that first settled on the banks) is a tributary of the Wateree River in the U.S ...
- Catawba, North Carolina: Catawba is a town in Catawba County , North Carolina , United States . The population was 698 at the 2000 census. It is part of the ...
- Catawba, Virginia: Catawba is an unincorporated community in the northern section of Roanoke County , Virginia , United States . Catawba occupies the ...
- Catawba, Wisconsin: Catawba is a village in Price County , Wisconsin , United States . The population was 149 at the 2000 census. located within the Town of Catawba . ...
- Catawba, South Carolina: Catawba (sometimes referred to as Catawba Ridge) is an unincorporated community in York County , South Carolina , United States along the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Catawba'
Catawba Sample Sentences in News
- Catawba's Robertson College-Community Center marks 50 years
If the walls of the Robertson College-Community Center on Catawba College's campus could talk, they'd tell of laughter, tears, music, celebration and the staged and real comedies and tragedies that have occurred over the past half century in the... Read more on this news related to 'Catawba'
- Catawba College plans to open downtown storefront
SALISBURY -- President Brien Lewis said Catawba College will open a storefront on the Square in downtown Salisbury. Read more on this news related to 'Catawba'
- Catawba Island Volunteer Fire Dept. hosts fundraiser for Honor Flight
CATAWBA — Catawba Island Volunteer Fire Department is inviting the community to a breakfast from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. April 5 at the fire station on Cemetery Road. Proceeds will benefit Honor Flight of Northwest Ohio. Read more on this news related to 'Catawba'