Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Carnivore'
- terrestrial or aquatic flesh-eating mammal; terrestrial carnivores have four or five clawed digits on each limb
- any animal that feeds on flesh; "Tyrannosaurus Rex was a large carnivore"; "insectivorous plants are considered carnivores"
- Carnivore \Car`ni*vore\, n. [Cf. F. carnivore.] (Zo["o]l.)
One of the Carnivora.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Carnivore'
A carnivore (pronounced /ˈkɑrnɪvɔər/), meaning 'meat eater' (Latin carne meaning 'flesh' and vorare meaning 'to devour'), is an organism that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue, whether through predation or scavenging. A carnivore that sits at the top of the foodchain is an apex predator.
Plants that capture and digest insects are called carnivorous plants. Similarly, fungi that capture microscopic animals are often called carnivorous fungi.
Carnivores that eat insects and similar invertebrates primarily or exclusively are called insectivores, while those that eat fish primarily or exclusively are called piscivores. Large piscivore amphibians were the first vertebrates to conquer land, they evolved 400 million years ago. Insectivores evolved next and predators of other vertebrates after that.[See more about Carnivore at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Carnivore'
Carnivore Sample Sentences in News
- Tiny carnivore evolved into humongous herbivores, say scientists
A diminutive lizardlike insect-eater that 300 million years ago gave rise to huge, plant-eating animals, according to a new study. Read more on this news related to 'Carnivore'
- Tiny Carnivore Evolved Into Huge Vegetarians
Which came first: carnivores or herbivores? A newly discovered tiny meat eater answers that questions and more. Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Carnivore'
- RESEARCHERS DISCOVER OCEAN SPONGE SPECIES
A remotely operated vehicle moving through the waters northwest of La Jolla discovered a new species of poisonous sponge — a twig-like carnivore able to survive in a tough marine environment. Read more on this news related to 'Carnivore'