Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Carnivore'
- terrestrial or aquatic flesh-eating mammal; terrestrial carnivores have four or five clawed digits on each limb
- any animal that feeds on flesh; "Tyrannosaurus Rex was a large carnivore"; "insectivorous plants are considered carnivores"
- Carnivore \Car`ni*vore\, n. [Cf. F. carnivore.] (Zo["o]l.)
One of the Carnivora.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Carnivore'
A carnivore (pronounced /ˈkɑrnɪvɔər/), meaning 'meat eater' (Latin carne meaning 'flesh' and vorare meaning 'to devour'), is an organism that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue, whether through predation or scavenging. A carnivore that sits at the top of the foodchain is an apex predator.
Plants that capture and digest insects are called carnivorous plants. Similarly, fungi that capture microscopic animals are often called carnivorous fungi.
Carnivores that eat insects and similar invertebrates primarily or exclusively are called insectivores, while those that eat fish primarily or exclusively are called piscivores. Large piscivore amphibians were the first vertebrates to conquer land, they evolved 400 million years ago. Insectivores evolved next and predators of other vertebrates after that.[See more about Carnivore at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Carnivore'
Carnivore Sample Sentences in News
- Lion cubs at Oregon Zoo meet dad for first time
He’s a 500-pound mega-carnivore capable of pulling a buffalo to the ground, but Zawadi Mungu now plays a new role: cat toy. Read more on this news related to 'Carnivore'
- Huge new dinosaur was predator king: study
Torvosaurus gurneyi, discovered in Portugal, was a bipedal carnivore with bladelike teeth Read more on this news related to 'Carnivore'
- New dinosaur species was 'king of the predators'
The Torvosaurus gurneyi, like T. Rex, was a bipedal carnivore with blade-like teeth more than 4 inches in length Read more on this news related to 'Carnivore'