Captain Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a diningroom attendant who is in charge of the waiters and the seating of customers
- the pilot ins charge of an airship
- the naval officer in command of a military ship
- a policeman in charge of a precinct
- an officer holding a rank below a major but above a lieutenant
- the leader of a group of people; "a captain of industry"
- an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship
- be the captain of a sports team
Definitions from Wiktionary
- an officer holding a rank below a major but above a lieutenant ,
- the naval officer in command of a military ship ,
- a policeman in charge of a precinct ,
- an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship ,
- the leader of a group of people; "a captain of industry" ,
- the pilot in charge of an airship ,
- a dining-room attendant who is in charge of the waiters and the seating of customers
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Captain'?
Captain Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Captain is a military rank. Captains are officers in an army. In a navy, captains command an entire ship. Another type of captain is a commander of a ship who is not in the military. There are also captains in other uniformed organisations, including the police. A leader of a sports team is also called a captain, as well as the pilot of an airliner.
Words and phrases related to 'Captain'
'Captain' example sentence in quotations
* The soul is the captain and ruler of the life of morals. - Sallust
* My fate cannot be mastered it can only be collaborated with and thereby, to some extent, directed. Nor am I the captain of my soul I am only its noisiest passenger. - Aldous Huxley
Click here for more related quotations on 'Captain'
Captain Sample Sentences in News
- US confirms Love as captain, more time for picks
Davis Love was confirmed Tuesday as the United States team captain for the 2016 Ryder Cup and a new system allowing more weeks for captain's picks was also unveiled. Love, given the chance at redemption after his 2012 team suffered the worst last-day American collapse in history, was named a week after the Golf Channel reported his selection, the PGA of Americ Read more on this news related to 'Captain'
- Golf-Love named United States Ryder Cup captain for 2016
* Tom Lehman named one of the four U.S. vice-captains * Timetable for captain's picks pushed back two weeks (Adds Mickelson quote) By Simon Evans PALM BEACH GARDENS, Florida, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Former PGA Championship winner Davis Love III will captain the United States in the 2016 Ryder Cup match against holders Europe at Hazeltine in Minnesota, the PGA of Am Read more on this news related to 'Captain'
- Old captain Love III now 'new' captain of US Ryder Cup team
Davis Love III gets another shot as U.S. Ryder Cup captain. His introduction Tuesday as captain in 2016 made it feel as if he was doing this for the first time. Read more on this news related to 'Captain'