Captain Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a diningroom attendant who is in charge of the waiters and the seating of customers
- the pilot ins charge of an airship
- the naval officer in command of a military ship
- a policeman in charge of a precinct
- an officer holding a rank below a major but above a lieutenant
- the leader of a group of people; "a captain of industry"
- an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship
- be the captain of a sports team
Definitions from Wiktionary
- an officer holding a rank below a major but above a lieutenant ,
- the naval officer in command of a military ship ,
- a policeman in charge of a precinct ,
- an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship ,
- the leader of a group of people; "a captain of industry" ,
- the pilot in charge of an airship ,
- a dining-room attendant who is in charge of the waiters and the seating of customers
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Captain'?
Captain Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Captain is a military rank.
Captains are officers in an army. In a navy, captains command an entire ship. A Navy Captain is equal to the army rank of colonel. Another type of captain is a commander of a ship who is not in the military.
There are also captains in other uniformed organisations, including the police. A leader of a sports team is also called a captain, as well as the pilot of an airliner.
Words and phrases related to 'Captain'
'Captain' example sentence in quotations
* The soul is the captain and ruler of the life of morals. - Sallust
* My fate cannot be mastered it can only be collaborated with and thereby, to some extent, directed. Nor am I the captain of my soul I am only its noisiest passenger. - Aldous Huxley
Click here for more related quotations on 'Captain'