Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Capstan'
Capstan Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a windlass rotated in a horizontal plane around a vertical
axis; used on ships for weighing anchor or raising heavy
- Capstan \Cap"stan\, n. [F. cabestan, fr. Sp. cabestrante,
cabrestante, fr. cabestrar to bind with a halter, fr.
cabestrohalter, fr. L. capistrum halter, fr. capere to hold
(see Capacious); or perh. the Spanish is fr. L. caper goat
+ stans, p. pr. of stare to stand; cf. F. ch[`e]vre she-goat,
also a machine for raising heavy weights.]
A vertical cleated drum or cylinder, revolving on an upright
spindle, and surmounted by a drumhead with sockets for bars
or levers. It is much used, especially on shipboard, for
moving or raising heavy weights or exerting great power by
traction upon a rope or cable, passing around the drum. It is
operated either by steam power or by a number of men walking
around the capstan, each pushing on the end of a lever fixed
in its socket. [Sometimes spelt Capstern, but improperly.]
Capstan bar, one of the long bars or levers by which the
capstan is worked; a handspike..
To pawl the capstan, to drop the pawls so that they will
catch in the notches of the pawl ring, and prevent the
capstan from turning back.
To rig the capstan, to prepare the for use, by putting the
bars in the sockets.
To surge the capstan, to slack the tension of the rope or
cable wound around it.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Capstan'
- Capstan: Capstan may refer to: Capstan (nautical), a rotating machine used to control or apply force to another element. Capstan (tape recorder), ...
- Capstan (nautical): A capstan is a vertical- axle d rotating machine developed for use on sailing ships to apply force to ropes, cables, and hawsers. ...
- Slingsby Capstan: The Slingsby T.49 Capstan is a British two-seat glider of the 1960s built by Slingsby Sailplanes as a replacement for their earlier ...
- Capstan (cigarette): Capstan is a brand of unfiltered British cigarettes made by Imperial Tobacco originally launched by W. D. & H. O. Wills in 1894. ...
- Capstan and Bowstring: The Capstan and Bowstring is a mechanism that converts rotary motion into linear motion and vice versa. It is very similar in function to ...
- Capstan equation: The capstan equation or capstan friction equation, also known as Eytelwein's formula, relates the hold-force to the load-force if a ...
- The Capstan Shafts: The Capstan Shafts is the musical project of American lo-fi artist Dean Wells. He has been releasing material under the Capstan Shafts ...
- Capstan Rocks: Capstan Rocks (64 | 57 | S | 63 | 26 | W |) is a small group of rocks, sometimes awash at high water and in strong winds, lying 1 nautical ...