Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Capitalize'
- draw advantages from; "he is capitalizing on her mistake"; "she took advantage of his absence to meet her lover" [syn: capitalise, take advantage]
- supply with capital, as of a business by using a combination of capital used by investors and debt capital provided by lenders [syn: capitalise]
- write in capital letters [syn: capitalise]
- compute the present value of a business or an income [syn: capitalise]
- consider expenditures as capital assets rather than expenses [syn: capitalise]
- convert (a company's reserve funds) into capital [syn: capitalise]
- Capitalize \Cap"i*tal*ize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Capitalized;
p. pr. & vb. n. Capitalizing.]
- To convert into capital, or to use as capital.
- To compute, appraise, or assess the capital value of (a patent right, an annuity, etc.)
- To print in capital letters, or with an initial capital.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Capitalize'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Capitalize'
Capitalise (British spelling) or capitalize (North American spelling) means to make one or more characters upper case. The first letter of a sentence is capitalised in many languages, as are the first letters of proper nouns such as names of people and places. In German, however, all nouns are capitalized. It is the only language to do that.
The homonym capitalize is a different word, and means "to fully fund as an investment".[See more about Capitalize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Capitalize'
Capitalize Sample Sentences in News
- Chelsea wins big to capitalize on City slip-up
Chelsea secured a third straight win in the English Premier League by beating Everton 6-3 to top the early standings while Juventus began its title defense in Italy with a victory over Chievo Verona. Here is the best of the action from Europe's top leagues: --- ENGLAND Chelsea showed off its newfound attacking sparkle in a 6-3 win over Everton on the day Manch Read more on this news related to 'Capitalize'
- Expansionwire: Juiceland hopes to capitalize on Brooklyn's...
Juiceland hopes to capitalize on Brooklyn's SXSW-fed fervor for all things Austin by opening a branch there. Owner Matt Shook says his focus remains in Austin, and that the Brooklyn outpost is "just for fun." Read more on this news related to 'Capitalize'
- Redskins Blog: Trenton Robinson aims to capitalize with Redskins’ safety ranks thin
Brandon Meriweathers impending two-game suspension has created the opportunity for second-year pro Bacarri Rambo to further prove himself to coaches. But hes not the only player that could benefit from the situation. Read more on this news related to 'Capitalize'