Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Capitalize'
- draw advantages from; "he is capitalizing on her mistake"; "she took advantage of his absence to meet her lover" [syn: capitalise, take advantage]
- supply with capital, as of a business by using a combination of capital used by investors and debt capital provided by lenders [syn: capitalise]
- write in capital letters [syn: capitalise]
- compute the present value of a business or an income [syn: capitalise]
- consider expenditures as capital assets rather than expenses [syn: capitalise]
- convert (a company's reserve funds) into capital [syn: capitalise]
- Capitalize \Cap"i*tal*ize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Capitalized;
p. pr. & vb. n. Capitalizing.]
- To convert into capital, or to use as capital.
- To compute, appraise, or assess the capital value of (a patent right, an annuity, etc.)
- To print in capital letters, or with an initial capital.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Capitalize'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Capitalize'
Capitalise (British spelling) or capitalize (North American spelling) means to make one or more characters upper case. The first letter of a sentence is capitalised in many languages, as are the first letters of proper nouns such as names of people and places. In German, however, all nouns are capitalized. It is the only language to do that.
The homonym capitalize is a different word, and means "to fully fund as an investment".[See more about Capitalize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Capitalize'
Capitalize Sample Sentences in News
- Quebec calls election, raising prospect of independence drive
Quebec's separatist government moved to capitalize on a lead in the polls on Wednesday, launching a provincial election that could eventually lead to a third referendum on independence from Canada if the vote leaves the separatists with a majority government. "It is necessary to put an end to the obstruction of our opponents," Premier Pauline Marois, Read more on this news related to 'Capitalize'
- Mass. towns hope to capitalize on CVS tobacco ban
LEE, Mass. (AP) — Local health officials in western Massachusetts hope to capitalize on the decision by CVS to phase out the sale of tobacco products by seeking to curb tobacco sales in Berkshire County. Read more on this news related to 'Capitalize'
- FutureWorld (FWDG) HempTech Rolls Out SPIDer
St. Petersburg, FL -- FutureWorld (OTCQB:FWDG), a U.S. Diversified Holding Company formed to capitalize on the burgeoning technology markets globally, announces today that HempTech will start rolling out ... Read more on this news related to 'Capitalize'