Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Capitalize'
- draw advantages from; "he is capitalizing on her mistake"; "she took advantage of his absence to meet her lover" [syn: capitalise, take advantage]
- supply with capital, as of a business by using a combination of capital used by investors and debt capital provided by lenders [syn: capitalise]
- write in capital letters [syn: capitalise]
- compute the present value of a business or an income [syn: capitalise]
- consider expenditures as capital assets rather than expenses [syn: capitalise]
- convert (a company's reserve funds) into capital [syn: capitalise]
- Capitalize \Cap"i*tal*ize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Capitalized;
p. pr. & vb. n. Capitalizing.]
- To convert into capital, or to use as capital.
- To compute, appraise, or assess the capital value of (a patent right, an annuity, etc.)
- To print in capital letters, or with an initial capital.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Capitalize'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Capitalize'
Capitalise (British spelling) or capitalize (North American spelling) means to make one or more characters upper case. The first letter of a sentence is capitalised in many languages, as are the first letters of proper nouns such as names of people and places. In German, however, all nouns are capitalized. It is the only language to do that.
The homonym capitalize is a different word, and means "to fully fund as an investment".[See more about Capitalize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Capitalize'
Capitalize Sample Sentences in News
- Angels capitalize on bases-loaded walk to beat Orioles, 3-2
KEY MOMENT: Trailing, 2-1, Josh Hamilton led off the eighth inning with a single to right field against reliever Tommy Hunter and scored on Erick Aybar's double to left-center field for a 2-2 tie. Howie Kendrick and David Freese struck out, Aybar stealing third during Freese's at-bat. Efren... Read more on this news related to 'Capitalize'
- Sohn Conference Foundation and Capitalize for Kids Partner to Host Canada's Premier Investment Forum in Toronto to ...
TORONTO, ON-- - Leading North American investors to present investment ideas Conference aims to raise funds to support children's health in Canada and pediatric cancer research in the United States The ... Read more on this news related to 'Capitalize'
- Rockies unable to capitalize in sixth straight loss
The Rockies couldn't capitalize on a big opportunity in the sixth inning, and Colorado picked up its sixth straight defeat with a 7-2 loss at Coors Field in the series opener. Read more on this news related to 'Capitalize'