Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Buxom'
Buxom Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- (of a woman's body) having a large bosom and pleasing curves; "Hollywood seems full of curvaceous blondes"; "a curvy young woman in a tight dress" [syn: bosomy, busty, curvaceous, curvy, full-bosomed, sonsie, sonsy, voluptuous, well-endowed]
- euphemisms for slightly fat; "a generation ago...buxom actresses were popular"- Robt.A.Hamilton; "chubby babies"; "pleasingly plump" [syn: chubby, embonpoint, plump, zaftig, zoftig]
- Buxom \Bux"om\, a. [OE. buxum, boxom, buhsum, pliable, obedient,
AS. b[=o]csum, b[=u]hsum (akin to D. buigzaam blexible, G.
biegsam); b[=u]gan to bow, bend + -sum, E. -some. See Bow
to bend, and -some.]
- Yielding; pliable or compliant; ready to obey; obedient; tractable; docile; meek; humble. [Obs.] So wild a beast, so tame ytaught to be, And buxom to his bands, is joy to see. --Spenser. I submit myself unto this holy church of Christ, to be ever buxom and obedient to the ordinance of it. --Foxe.
- Having the characteristics of health, vigor, and comeliness, combined with a gay, lively manner; stout and rosy; jolly; frolicsome. A daughter fair, So buxom, blithe, and debonair. --Milton. A parcel of buxom bonny dames, that were laughing, singing, dancing, and as merry as the day was long. --Tatler. -- Bux"om*ly, adv. -- Bux"om*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Buxom'
- Buxom: buxom.
Words and phrases related to 'Buxom'