Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bugging'
- general term for any insect or similar creeping or crawling invertebrate
- a fault or defect in a system or machine [syn: glitch]
- a small hidden microphone; for listening secretly
- insects with sucking mouthparts and forewings thickened and leathery at the base; usually show incomplete metamorphosis [syn: hemipterous insect, hemipteran, hemipteron]
- a minute life form (especially a disease-causing bacterium); the term is not in technical use [syn: microbe, germ] v
- annoy persistently; "The children teased the boy because of his stammer" [syn: tease, badger, pester, beleaguer]
- tap a telephone or telegraph wire to get information; "The FBI was tapping the phone line of the suspected spy"; "Is this hotel room bugged?" [syn: wiretap, tap, intercept] [also: bugging, bugged]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bugging'
A covert listening device, more commonly known as a bug or a wire, is usually a combination of a miniature radio transmitter with a microphone. The use of bugs, called bugging, is a common technique in surveillance, espionage and in police investigations.
A bug does not have to be a device specifically designed for the purpose of eavesdropping. For instance, with the right equipment, it is possible to remotely activate the microphone of cellular phones, even when a call is not being made, to listen to conversations in the vicinity of the phone.
Mobile phone (cell phone) microphones can be activated remotely, without any need for physical access.
In 2003 the FBI obtained a court order to surreptitiously listen in on conversations in a car, through the car's built-in emergency and tracking security system. A panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals prohibited the use of this technique because it involved deactivating the device's security features.[See more about Bugging at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Bugging'
Bugging Sample Sentences in News
- Bugging Out: Forget the imminent danger or years...
Forget the imminent danger or years of proven effective design, one building super has fashioned his own beekeepers suit out of a painters suit and window screen to tackle a football-sized hornets nest out-front of a Williamsburg building. Amazingly, Moises... Read more on this news related to 'Bugging'
- Bugging Out: 50,000 Bees Found Hiding in the Ceiling of a Queens Apartment
50,000 bees have been recovered from the ceiling of an Elmhurst apartment belonging to a woman with apparently sub-par hearing capabilities. 50,000. Bees. The discovery came after building neighbors complained about the budding infestation, leading the ever-heroic Anthony "Tony... Read more on this news related to 'Bugging'
- Bugging out: Get up close and personal with insects
Wildlife photographer Yudy Sauw captured extreme closeups of insects at his home in Banten, Indonesia. Sauw, 33, gets macro images of the creepy crawlers by shooting them from 2 to 10 cm.... Read more on this news related to 'Bugging'