Buckler Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
n : armor carried on the arm to intercept blows [syn: shield]
- Buckler \Buc"kler\, v. t.
To shield; to defend. [Obs.]
Can Oxford, that did ever fence the right, Now buckler
falsehood with a pedigree? --Shak.
- Buckler \Buc"kler\, n. [OE. bocler, OF. bocler, F. bouclier, a
shield with a boss, from OF. bocle, boucle, boss. See
- A kind of shield, of various shapes and sizes, worn on one of the arms (usually the left) for protecting the front of the body. Note: In the sword and buckler play of the Middle Ages in England, the buckler was a small shield, used, not to cover the body, but to stop or parry blows.
- (Zo["o]l.) (a) One of the large, bony, external plates found on many ganoid fishes. (b) The anterior segment of the shell of trilobites.
- (Naut.) A block of wood or plate of iron made to fit a hawse hole, or the circular opening in a half-port, to prevent water from entering when the vessel pitches. Blind buckler (Naut.), a solid buckler. Buckler mustard (Bot.), a genus of plants (Biscutella) with small bright yellow flowers. The seed vessel on bursting resembles two bucklers or shields. Buckler thorn, a plant with seed vessels shaped like a buckler. See Christ's thorn. Riding buckler (Naut.), a buckler with a hole for the passage of a cable.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Buckler'?
Buckler Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A shield is the name used to refer to any object or force used to block something.
The oldest shield known was a device used to block hand weapons and arrows. The shield has been constructed differently over time, even animal hides were used, and the size and weight were largely different as well.
In the Middle ages, Kite shields were commonly used. The Kite shield is a shield in the form of a kite. Because of the lack of mobility due of the kite shields' weight, kite shields were given up for more mobility and two handed weapons. The Buckler was a shield with a round shape. It was commonly used as a replacement for the heavy Kite shields.
Shields were used even after gunpowder weapons. the shield is still used by police and army forces today. Many shields now in days are usually made from advanced material, as well as electronics. Shields also vary from not only hand helds, but clothing, such as vests and, in a way, boots and gloves.[See more about Buckler at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Buckler'
Buckler Sample Sentences in News
- Today's Birthdays
Actor Tom Hulce is 60. Rock musician Rick Buckler (The Jam) is 58. Rock musician Ben Watt (Everything But The Girl) is 51. Read more on this news related to 'Buckler'
- Sheriff's Office Bailiff Charged with Sexual Assaulting Female Inmate
Kentucky State Police say Earl Buckler, 63, of Grayson, is charged with third-degree sodomy. Read more on this news related to 'Buckler'
- Celebrity birthdays on Dec 6
Actress JoBeth Williams is 65. Actor Tom Hulce is 60. Actor Kin Shriner and his twin, talk-show host Wil Shriner, are 60. Drummer Rick Buckler of The Jam is 58. Country singer Bill Lloyd of Foster and Lloyd is 58. Comedian Steven Wright is 58. Guitarist Peter Buck of R.E.M. is 57. Drummer David Lovering of The Pixies is 52. Actress Janine Turner is 51. Director Ju Read more on this news related to 'Buckler'