Bruise Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- an injury that doesn''t break the skin but results in some discoloration
- damage (plant tissue) by abrasion of pressure; "The customer bruised the strawberries by squeezing them"
- break up into small pieces for food preparation; "bruise the berries with a wooden spoon and strain them"
- injure the underlying soft tissue of bone of; "I bruised my knee"
- hurt the feelings of; "She hurt me when she did not include me among her guests"; "This remark really bruised me ego"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- an injury that doesn't break the skin but results in some discoloration
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Bruise'?
Bruise Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A bruise, also called a contusion or an ecchymosis, is a visible bluish or purplish mark or patch appearing beneath the surface of the skin, resulting from blood that leaked out of the deeper layers of the tissues.
Bruises often cause pain but are normally not dangerous. Sometimes bruises can be serious and lead to other more life-threatening forms of hematoma, or they can be associated with serious injuries such as fractures and internal bleeding. Minor bruises may be easily recognized, in people with light skin color, by their characteristic blue or purple appearance (idiomatically described as "black and blue") in the days following the injury.
Words and phrases related to 'Bruise'
'Bruise' example sentence in quotations
* A gentle word is never lost...It cheers the heart when sorrow-tossed, And lulls the cares that bruise it. - Hastings
Click here for more related quotations on 'Bruise'
Bruise Sample Sentences in News
- Grizzlies' Gasol has bone bruise in right knee
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Grizzlies center Marc Gasol has a bone bruise in his right knee and is questionable for Friday night's game against the San Antonio Spurs. Read more on this news related to 'Bruise'
- Chiefs star RB Charles has knee bruise, swelling
Chiefs star RB Charles has knee bruise, swelling Read more on this news related to 'Bruise'
- Tyreke Evans plays against Trail Blazers, despite bone bruise in knee
Tyreke Evans is the Pelicans' second-leading scorer with a 17.0 average. Read more on this news related to 'Bruise'