Bruise Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- an injury that doesn''t break the skin but results in some discoloration
- damage (plant tissue) by abrasion of pressure; "The customer bruised the strawberries by squeezing them"
- break up into small pieces for food preparation; "bruise the berries with a wooden spoon and strain them"
- injure the underlying soft tissue of bone of; "I bruised my knee"
- hurt the feelings of; "She hurt me when she did not include me among her guests"; "This remark really bruised me ego"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- an injury that doesn't break the skin but results in some discoloration
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Bruise'?
Bruise Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A bruise, also called a contusion or an ecchymosis, is a visible bluish or purplish mark or patch appearing beneath the surface of the skin, resulting from blood that leaked out of the deeper layers of the tissues.
Bruises often cause pain but are normally not dangerous. Sometimes bruises can be serious and lead to other more life-threatening forms of hematoma, or they can be associated with serious injuries such as fractures and internal bleeding. Minor bruises may be easily recognized, in people with light skin color, by their characteristic blue or purple appearance (idiomatically described as "black and blue") in the days following the injury.
Words and phrases related to 'Bruise'
'Bruise' example sentence in quotations
* A gentle word is never lost...It cheers the heart when sorrow-tossed, And lulls the cares that bruise it. - Hastings
Click here for more related quotations on 'Bruise'
Bruise Sample Sentences in News
- 'Bruise Brothers' Steven Adams and Enes Kanter can't prevent close Thunder loss
The newly christened 'Bruise Brothers' continued to make an impact, but it wasn't enough to get the Oklahoma City Thunder up to a victory in a tight finish at the Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday. Read more on this news related to 'Bruise'
- FDA approves genetically engineered potatoes, apples as safe
Potatoes that won't bruise and apples that won't brown are a step closer to grocery store aisles, but some food suppliers say they don't want any part of it and others are staying silent. Read more on this news related to 'Bruise'
- Review: 'Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter'
The Coen brothersâ bruise-black comedy Fargo resonated with millions of people. But itâs safe to say that none of them have parsed it with the same Talmudic scrutiny as a mousy Tokyo office worker named Kumiko. Played with a haunting air of melancholy by Rinko Kikuchi ( Babel ),... B+ Read more on this news related to 'Bruise'