Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Broadcast'
- message that is transmitted by radio or television
- a radio or television show; "did you see his program last night?" [syn: program, programme] v
- broadcast over the airwaves, as in radio or television; "We cannot air this X-rated song" [syn: air, send, beam, transmit]
- sow over a wide area, especially by hand; "broadcast seeds"
- cause to become widely known; "spread information"; "circulate a rumor"; "broadcast the news" [syn: circulate, circularize, circularise, distribute, disseminate, propagate, spread, diffuse, disperse, pass around}]
- Broadcast \Broad"cast`\, n. (Agric.)
A casting or throwing seed in all directions, as from the
hand in sowing.
- Broadcast \Broad"cast`\, a.
- Cast or dispersed in all directions, as seed from the hand in sowing; widely diffused.
- Scattering in all directions (as a method of sowing); -- opposed to planting in hills, or rows.
- Broadcast \Broad"cast`\, adv.
So as to scatter or be scattered in all directions; so as to
spread widely, as seed from the hand in sowing, or news from
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Broadcast'
Broadcasting is the distribution of audio and video content to a dispersed audience via radio, television, or other, often digital transmission media. Receiving parties may include the general public or a relatively large subset of thereof.
The original term broadcast referred to the literal sowing of seeds on farms by scattering them over a wide field. It was first adopted by early radio engineers from the Midwestern United States to refer to the analogous dissemination of radio signals. Broadcasting forms a very large segment of the mass media. Broadcasting to a very narrow range of audience is called narrowcasting.
Historically, there have been several different types of electronic broadcasting mediums:
Economically there are a few ways in which stations are able to broadcast continually. Each differs in the method by which stations are funded:[See more about Broadcast at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Broadcast'
'Broadcast' in famous quotation sentence
* My fellow Americans I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes. (Comment while testing a microphone before a broadcast 11 Aug 84) - Ronald Reagan
* All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value. - Carl Sagan
Click here for more related quotations on 'Broadcast'
Broadcast Sample Sentences in News
- Parts of Pistorius trial can be broadcast live
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Parts of Oscar Pistorius' murder trial can be broadcast live by three remote-controlled cameras in court, but testimony given by the double-amputee Olympian can't be shown, a judge ruled Tuesday. Read more on this news related to 'Broadcast'
- Wireless Ronin to Merge With Broadcast International
Wireless Ronin Technologies, Inc. , a leading digital marketing technologies solutions provider, has entered into a definitive agreement to merge with Broadcast International , a leading provider of digital ... Read more on this news related to 'Broadcast'
- Oscar Trial: No Live Broadcast Allowed During Pathologist Report
Pretoria – Judge Thokozile Masipa on Monday ruled that no live broadcast, including Twitter and blogging, was permitted while pathologist Gert Saayman gives evidence on the autopsy conducted on Oscar Pistorius’s slain girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. Earlier on Monday, Saayman addressed the court regarding the live broadcast of his testimony. He argued that the gr Read more on this news related to 'Broadcast'