Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bred'
- a special lineage; "a breed of Americans"
- a special variety of domesticated animals within a species; "he experimented on a particular breed of white rats"; "he created a new strain of sheep" [syn: strain, stock]
- half-caste offspring of parents of different races (especially of white and Indian parents) [syn: half-breed]
- a lineage or race of people [syn: strain] v
- call forth [syn: engender, spawn]
- copulate with a female, used especially of horses; "The horse covers the mare" [syn: cover]
- of plants or animals; "She breeds dogs"
- have young (animals); "pandas rarely breed in captivity" [syn: multiply] [also: bred]
- Bred \Bred\,
imp. & p. p. of Breed.
Bred out, degenerated. ``The strain of man's bred out into
baboon and monkey.'' --Shak.
Bred to arms. See under Arms.
(a) Of a good family; having a good pedigree. ``A gentleman
well bred and of good name.'' --Shak. [Obs., except as
applied to domestic animals.]
(b) Well brought up, as shown in having good manners;
cultivated; refined; polite.
- Breed \Breed\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bred; p. pr. & vb. n.
Breeding.] [OE. breden, AS. br[=e]dan to nourish, cherish,
keep warm, from br[=o]d brood; akin to D. broeden to brood,
OHG. bruoten, G. br["u]ten. See Brood.]
- To produce as offspring; to bring forth; to bear; to procreate; to generate; to beget; to hatch. Yet every mother breeds not sons alike. --Shak. If the sun breed maggots in a dead dog. --Shak.
- To take care of in infancy, and through the age of youth;
to bring up; to nurse and foster.
To bring thee forth with pain, with care to breed.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bred'
A breed is a group of domestic animals or plants with a homogeneous appearance, behavior, and other characteristics that distinguish it from other animals of the same species. When bred together, animals of the same breed pass on these uniform traits to their offspring, and this ability—known as "breeding true"—is a definitive requirement for a breed. Plant breeds are more commonly known as cultivars. The offspring produced as a result of breeding animals of one breed with other animals of another breed are known as crossbreeds or mixed breeds. Crosses between animal or plant variants above the level of breed/cultivar (species, subspecies, botanical variety, even different genera) are referred to as hybrids.
The breeder or breeders who initially establish a breed, do so by selecting individual animals from within the groups gene pool that they see as having the necessary qualities needed to enhance the breed model they are aiming for. These animals are referred to as “breed foundation”, or “breed origination”. Further, the breeder mates the most desirable from his point of view representatives, aiming to pass such characteristics to their progeny. This process is known as selective breeding. A written description of desirable and undesirable breed representatives is referred to as a breed standard.[See more about Bred at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Bred'
'Bred' in famous quotation sentence
* Silence is one of the great arts of conversation, as allowed by Cicero himself, who says, 'there is not only an art, but an eloquence in it.' A well bred woman may easily and effectually promote the most useful and elegant conversation without speaking a word. The modes of speech are scarcely more variable than the modes of silence. - Tom Blair
Click here for more related quotations on 'Bred'
Bred Sample Sentences in News
- MIT-bred technology would let cars help each other avoid traffic jams
If you get stuck in traffic a lot, your next car may be able to talk to other vehicles and help keep you off jammed roads. Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology used virtual tokens, cellphones and vehicle-to-vehicle wireless LANs to build a system for allocating the limited space available on major thoroughfares. It doesn’t require any physica Read more on this news related to 'Bred'
- Cross-bred crops get fit faster
Genetic engineering lags behind conventional breeding in efforts to create drought-resistant maize. Read more on this news related to 'Bred'
- Dortmund, Arsenal renew Champions League rivalry
Familiarity has bred a healthy respect between Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal in the Champions League, with the German club eager to avenge a loss at home against the English team. Dortmund, the 2013 Champions League runner-up, will be hosting Arsenal in the competition for the third time in four seasons. ''It's been a while since our last home win over Read more on this news related to 'Bred'