Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bombard'
Bombard Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a large shawm; the bass member of the shawm family [syn: bombardon]
- cast, hurl, or throw repeatedly with some missile; "They pelted each other with snowballs" [syn: pelt]
- throw bombs at or attack with bombs; "The Americans bombed Dresden" [syn: bomb]
- Bombard \Bom"bard\, n. [F. bombarde, LL. bombarda, fr. L. bombus
+ -ard. Cf. Bumper, and see Bomb.]
- (Gun.) A piece of heavy ordnance formerly used for throwing stones and other ponderous missiles. It was the earliest kind of cannon. They planted in divers places twelve great bombards, wherewith they threw huge stones into the air, which, falling down into the city, might break down the houses. --Knolles.
- A bombardment. [Poetic & R.] --J. Barlow.
- A large drinking vessel or can, or a leather bottle, for carrying liquor or beer. [Obs.] Yond same black cloud, yond huge one, looks like a foul bombard that would shed his liquor. --Shak.
- pl. Padded breeches. [Obs.] Bombard phrase, inflated language; bombast. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
- Bombard \Bom"bard\, n. [OE. bombarde, fr. F. bombarde.] (Mus.)
See Bombardo. [Obs.]
- Bombard \Bom*bard"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bombarded; p. pr. &
vb. n. Bombarding.]
To attack with bombards or with artillery; especially, to
throw shells, hot shot, etc., at or into.
Next, she means to bombard Naples. --Burke.
His fleet bombarded and burnt down Dieppe. --Wood.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bombard'
- Bombard: Bombard may refer to: The act of carrying out a bombardment Bombard (weapon), a type of late medieval siege weapon. Bombard (music), a ...
- Bombard (weapon): A bombard is a large-caliber, muzzle-loading medieval cannon or mortar , used chiefly in siege s for throwing heavy stone balls. ...
- Bombard (music): bombard, also known as talabard or ar vombard in the Breton language or bombarde in French, is a popular contemporary conical bore double ...
- HMAS Bombard (P 99): HMAS Bombard (P 99) was an Attack class patrol boat of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). She was built by Walkers Limited at Maryborough, ...
- Bombardment: the military attack form | information about the Dodgeball -like game | Bombardment Game A bombardment is an attack by artillery fire ...
- Marc Bombard: Marc Bombard (b. November 15, 1949 in Baltimore , Maryland , USA) was the Philadelphia Phillies first base coach from 2005-2006. ...
Words and phrases related to 'Bombard'
Bombard Sample Sentences in News
- Nigerian forces bombard Islamist militant camps from the air
By Lanre Ola MAIDUGURI (Reuters) - Nigerian forces used jets and attack helicopters to bombard Islamist militant camps in the northeast on Friday, in their biggest military offensive since Boko Haram launched an uprising in 2009. "A number of insurgents have been killed," the defence headquarters spokesman said, including at the Sambisa game reserve in B Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'
- Food Marketers Use SpongeBob, Shrek to Bombard Latino Kids with Commercials
Bob Esponja—SpongeBob SquarePants—dances in his spurs as an announcer greets young viewers with a jaunty “Oye vaquero!”—Hello cowboys! Then he invites them, in Spanish, to the nearest Burger King. Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'
- Option Bulls Bombard Bank of America Corp (BAC)
Financial concern Bank of America Corp (NYSE:BAC) is leading the blue chips higher, up more than 2.1% to linger near %2413.31 -- in two-year-high territory...( Read More ) Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'