Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bombard'
Bombard Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a large shawm; the bass member of the shawm family [syn: bombardon]
- cast, hurl, or throw repeatedly with some missile; "They pelted each other with snowballs" [syn: pelt]
- throw bombs at or attack with bombs; "The Americans bombed Dresden" [syn: bomb]
- Bombard \Bom"bard\, n. [F. bombarde, LL. bombarda, fr. L. bombus
+ -ard. Cf. Bumper, and see Bomb.]
- (Gun.) A piece of heavy ordnance formerly used for throwing stones and other ponderous missiles. It was the earliest kind of cannon. They planted in divers places twelve great bombards, wherewith they threw huge stones into the air, which, falling down into the city, might break down the houses. --Knolles.
- A bombardment. [Poetic & R.] --J. Barlow.
- A large drinking vessel or can, or a leather bottle, for carrying liquor or beer. [Obs.] Yond same black cloud, yond huge one, looks like a foul bombard that would shed his liquor. --Shak.
- pl. Padded breeches. [Obs.] Bombard phrase, inflated language; bombast. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
- Bombard \Bom"bard\, n. [OE. bombarde, fr. F. bombarde.] (Mus.)
See Bombardo. [Obs.]
- Bombard \Bom*bard"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bombarded; p. pr. &
vb. n. Bombarding.]
To attack with bombards or with artillery; especially, to
throw shells, hot shot, etc., at or into.
Next, she means to bombard Naples. --Burke.
His fleet bombarded and burnt down Dieppe. --Wood.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bombard'
- Bombard: Bombard may refer to: The act of carrying out a bombardment Bombard (weapon), a type of late medieval siege weapon. Bombard (music), a ...
- Bombard (weapon): A bombard is a large-caliber, muzzle-loading medieval cannon or mortar , used chiefly in siege s for throwing heavy stone balls. ...
- Bombard (music): bombard, also known as talabard or ar vombard in the Breton language or bombarde in French, is a popular contemporary conical bore double ...
- HMAS Bombard (P 99): HMAS Bombard (P 99) was an Attack class patrol boat of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). She was built by Walkers Limited at Maryborough, ...
- Bombardment: the military attack form | information about the Dodgeball -like game | Bombardment Game A bombardment is an attack by artillery fire ...
- Marc Bombard: Marc Bombard (b. November 15, 1949 in Baltimore , Maryland , USA) was the Philadelphia Phillies first base coach from 2005-2006. ...
Words and phrases related to 'Bombard'
Bombard Sample Sentences in News
- Former Skaneateles car dealer Pat Bombard repays elderly woman in land scam
Former car dealer Pat Bombard came to Judge Anthony Aloi's court Thursday in handcuffs and left a free man when he handed $48,000 worth of checks to an elderly woman he scammed back in a land deal in 2008. Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'
- Bombard makes good on debt; will avoid prison
Former Skaneateles car dealer Pat Bombard appeared before Onondaga County Court Judge Anthony Aloi Thursday morning with $48,000 in hand, the final restitution payment on his debt to 93-year-old Erma Jerva. Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'
- Former Skaneateles car dealer jailed for probation violation in grand larceny case
Former Skaneateles car dealer Pat Bombard was sent to the Onondaga County Public Safety Building Tuesday after failing to pay approximately $47,000 in restitution to a neighbor he defrauded in a real estate deal. Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'