Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bombard'
Bombard Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a large shawm; the bass member of the shawm family [syn: bombardon]
- cast, hurl, or throw repeatedly with some missile; "They pelted each other with snowballs" [syn: pelt]
- throw bombs at or attack with bombs; "The Americans bombed Dresden" [syn: bomb]
- Bombard \Bom"bard\, n. [F. bombarde, LL. bombarda, fr. L. bombus
+ -ard. Cf. Bumper, and see Bomb.]
- (Gun.) A piece of heavy ordnance formerly used for throwing stones and other ponderous missiles. It was the earliest kind of cannon. They planted in divers places twelve great bombards, wherewith they threw huge stones into the air, which, falling down into the city, might break down the houses. --Knolles.
- A bombardment. [Poetic & R.] --J. Barlow.
- A large drinking vessel or can, or a leather bottle, for carrying liquor or beer. [Obs.] Yond same black cloud, yond huge one, looks like a foul bombard that would shed his liquor. --Shak.
- pl. Padded breeches. [Obs.] Bombard phrase, inflated language; bombast. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
- Bombard \Bom"bard\, n. [OE. bombarde, fr. F. bombarde.] (Mus.)
See Bombardo. [Obs.]
- Bombard \Bom*bard"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bombarded; p. pr. &
vb. n. Bombarding.]
To attack with bombards or with artillery; especially, to
throw shells, hot shot, etc., at or into.
Next, she means to bombard Naples. --Burke.
His fleet bombarded and burnt down Dieppe. --Wood.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bombard'
- Bombard: Bombard may refer to: The act of carrying out a bombardment Bombard (weapon), a type of late medieval siege weapon. Bombard (music), a ...
- Bombard (weapon): A bombard is a large-caliber, muzzle-loading medieval cannon or mortar , used chiefly in siege s for throwing heavy stone balls. ...
- Bombard (music): bombard, also known as talabard or ar vombard in the Breton language or bombarde in French, is a popular contemporary conical bore double ...
- HMAS Bombard (P 99): HMAS Bombard (P 99) was an Attack class patrol boat of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). She was built by Walkers Limited at Maryborough, ...
- Bombardment: the military attack form | information about the Dodgeball -like game | Bombardment Game A bombardment is an attack by artillery fire ...
- Marc Bombard: Marc Bombard (b. November 15, 1949 in Baltimore , Maryland , USA) was the Philadelphia Phillies first base coach from 2005-2006. ...
Words and phrases related to 'Bombard'
Bombard Sample Sentences in News
- Community comes together to help Tomball’s ‘watermelon man’
Tommy Bombard, aka “watermelon man,” has sold watermelons in the Magnolia and Tomball for 15 years. The community has raised money for him to help with his expenses after suffering from several strokes. Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'
- Community comes together to help the ‘watermelon man’
His name is Tommy Bombard but most people in the Tomball and Magnolia area know him as the ‘watermelon man.’ Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'
- Gaza left without electricity after strike hits power plant
Israeli military continued to bombard Gaza City on Tuesday night. Across the region at least 21 Palestinians were reported killed. UNRWA the main UN… Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'