Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bombard'
Bombard Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a large shawm; the bass member of the shawm family [syn: bombardon]
- cast, hurl, or throw repeatedly with some missile; "They pelted each other with snowballs" [syn: pelt]
- throw bombs at or attack with bombs; "The Americans bombed Dresden" [syn: bomb]
- Bombard \Bom"bard\, n. [F. bombarde, LL. bombarda, fr. L. bombus
+ -ard. Cf. Bumper, and see Bomb.]
- (Gun.) A piece of heavy ordnance formerly used for throwing stones and other ponderous missiles. It was the earliest kind of cannon. They planted in divers places twelve great bombards, wherewith they threw huge stones into the air, which, falling down into the city, might break down the houses. --Knolles.
- A bombardment. [Poetic & R.] --J. Barlow.
- A large drinking vessel or can, or a leather bottle, for carrying liquor or beer. [Obs.] Yond same black cloud, yond huge one, looks like a foul bombard that would shed his liquor. --Shak.
- pl. Padded breeches. [Obs.] Bombard phrase, inflated language; bombast. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
- Bombard \Bom"bard\, n. [OE. bombarde, fr. F. bombarde.] (Mus.)
See Bombardo. [Obs.]
- Bombard \Bom*bard"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bombarded; p. pr. &
vb. n. Bombarding.]
To attack with bombards or with artillery; especially, to
throw shells, hot shot, etc., at or into.
Next, she means to bombard Naples. --Burke.
His fleet bombarded and burnt down Dieppe. --Wood.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bombard'
- Bombard: Bombard may refer to: The act of carrying out a bombardment Bombard (weapon), a type of late medieval siege weapon. Bombard (music), a ...
- Bombard (weapon): A bombard is a large-caliber, muzzle-loading medieval cannon or mortar , used chiefly in siege s for throwing heavy stone balls. ...
- Bombard (music): bombard, also known as talabard or ar vombard in the Breton language or bombarde in French, is a popular contemporary conical bore double ...
- HMAS Bombard (P 99): HMAS Bombard (P 99) was an Attack class patrol boat of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). She was built by Walkers Limited at Maryborough, ...
- Bombardment: the military attack form | information about the Dodgeball -like game | Bombardment Game A bombardment is an attack by artillery fire ...
- Marc Bombard: Marc Bombard (b. November 15, 1949 in Baltimore , Maryland , USA) was the Philadelphia Phillies first base coach from 2005-2006. ...
Words and phrases related to 'Bombard'
Bombard Sample Sentences in News
- NYPD Twitter campaign 'backfires'
Twitter users bombard the New York Police department with images depicting police aggression in the latest social media campaign to go awry. Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'
- Facebook isn't dying, but it needs to evolve to survive
Facebook must do more than invade our privacy, bombard us with ads, and make us feel sad. To stay relevant, it must address users' privacy concerns, adjust its ad strategy, and engage users in developing and emerging markets. Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'
- New Government crackdown on nuisance phone calls
More companies which bombard people at home with nuisance calls will be fined, under new Government plans. Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'