Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bombard'
Bombard Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a large shawm; the bass member of the shawm family [syn: bombardon]
- cast, hurl, or throw repeatedly with some missile; "They pelted each other with snowballs" [syn: pelt]
- throw bombs at or attack with bombs; "The Americans bombed Dresden" [syn: bomb]
- Bombard \Bom"bard\, n. [F. bombarde, LL. bombarda, fr. L. bombus
+ -ard. Cf. Bumper, and see Bomb.]
- (Gun.) A piece of heavy ordnance formerly used for throwing stones and other ponderous missiles. It was the earliest kind of cannon. They planted in divers places twelve great bombards, wherewith they threw huge stones into the air, which, falling down into the city, might break down the houses. --Knolles.
- A bombardment. [Poetic & R.] --J. Barlow.
- A large drinking vessel or can, or a leather bottle, for carrying liquor or beer. [Obs.] Yond same black cloud, yond huge one, looks like a foul bombard that would shed his liquor. --Shak.
- pl. Padded breeches. [Obs.] Bombard phrase, inflated language; bombast. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
- Bombard \Bom"bard\, n. [OE. bombarde, fr. F. bombarde.] (Mus.)
See Bombardo. [Obs.]
- Bombard \Bom*bard"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bombarded; p. pr. &
vb. n. Bombarding.]
To attack with bombards or with artillery; especially, to
throw shells, hot shot, etc., at or into.
Next, she means to bombard Naples. --Burke.
His fleet bombarded and burnt down Dieppe. --Wood.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bombard'
- Bombard: Bombard may refer to: The act of carrying out a bombardment Bombard (weapon), a type of late medieval siege weapon. Bombard (music), a ...
- Bombard (weapon): A bombard is a large-caliber, muzzle-loading medieval cannon or mortar , used chiefly in siege s for throwing heavy stone balls. ...
- Bombard (music): bombard, also known as talabard or ar vombard in the Breton language or bombarde in French, is a popular contemporary conical bore double ...
- HMAS Bombard (P 99): HMAS Bombard (P 99) was an Attack class patrol boat of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). She was built by Walkers Limited at Maryborough, ...
- Bombardment: the military attack form | information about the Dodgeball -like game | Bombardment Game A bombardment is an attack by artillery fire ...
- Marc Bombard: Marc Bombard (b. November 15, 1949 in Baltimore , Maryland , USA) was the Philadelphia Phillies first base coach from 2005-2006. ...
Words and phrases related to 'Bombard'
Bombard Sample Sentences in News
- Police identify victim in weekend stabbing
Police have released the name of the man who was stabbed in the chest and later died of his injuries. Richard “Dickey” Bombard, 49, was pronounced dead at CVPH Emergency Department Sunday evening. Police said in a news release Monday that Bombard was allegedly at a friend’s house in the back yard when neighbor, Otis L. Grenton Jr., 50, came over. The two men Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'
- Man dead of stab wounds, neighbor charged with murder
PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. (AP) — A 49-year-old Plattsburgh man is dead and his friend’s neighbor is charged with murder after a backyard argument escalated into a knife fight. Plattsburgh police say Richard Bombard was in the backyard of a friend Sunday evening around 7:45 when a neighbor, 49-year-old Otis Grenton Jr., came over. Police say Bombard […] Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'
- Can't have good relations with those who attack our borders: Shahnawaz Hussain
A day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that a bilateral dialogue with Pakistan was only possible in a terror-free environment, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Shahnawaz Hussain asserted that India can't have good relations with those who talk to separatist leaders and continuously bombard India's borders. Hussain told ANI, "Our Prime Minist Read more on this news related to 'Bombard'