Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Blush'
Blush Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a rosy color (especially in the cheeks) taken as a sign of good health [syn: bloom, flush, rosiness]
- sudden reddening of the face (as from embarrassment or guilt or shame or modesty) [syn: flush] v
- turn red, as if in embarrassment or shame; "The girl blushed when a young man whistled as she walked by" [syn: crimson, flush, redden]
- become rosy or reddish; "her cheeks blushed in the cold winter air"
- Blush \Blush\ (bl[u^]sh) v. i. [imp. & p. p. Blushed
(bl[u^]sht); p. pr. & vb. n. Blushing.] [OE. bluschen to
shine, look, turn red, AS. blyscan to glow; akin to blysa a
torch, [=a]bl[=y]sian to blush, D. blozen, Dan. blusse to
- To become suffused with red in the cheeks, as from a sense of shame, modesty, or confusion; to become red from such cause, as the cheeks or face. To the nuptial bower I led her blushing like the morn. --Milton. In the presence of the shameless and unblushing, the young offender is ashamed to blush. --Buckminster. He would stroke The head of modest and ingenuous worth, That blushed at its own praise. --Cowper.
- To grow red; to have a red or rosy color. The sun of heaven, methought, was loth to set, But stayed, and made the western welkin blush. --Shak.
- To have a warm and delicate color, as some roses and other flowers. Full many a flower is born to blush unseen. --T. Gray.
- Blush \Blush\, v. t.
- To suffuse with a blush; to redden; to make roseate. [Obs.] To blush and beautify the cheek again. --Shak.
- To express or make known by blushing. I'll blush you thanks. --Shak.
- Blush \Blush\, n.
- A suffusion of the cheeks or face with red, as from a sense of shame, confusion, or modesty. The rosy blush of love. --Trumbull.
- A red or reddish color; a rosy tint.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Blush'
- Blush: Blush may refer to: Blushing , the physiological occurrence of temporary redness of the face as an emotional response. Blush, also called ...
- Blushing: To blush is to display red ness in one's face ; the term is usually used when the redness is a result of an emotional response, which could ...
- Blush (film): Blush (s 红粉 | t 紅粉 | p Hong fen) is a 1995 Chinese film about the experience of two women during the People's Republic of China 's ...
- Blush, Albania: Blush is a village in the Kolonjë District , Korçë County , southeastern Albania Notable people: Kico Blushi References : Category:Populated ...
Words and phrases related to 'Blush'
Blush Sample Sentences in News
- Celebrity trend watch: The blush bag
We take a quick look at one of the hottest new trends from boldfaced names. Read more on this news related to 'Blush'
- 100 Men Who Cook: a delicious way to raise money for Denver nonprofits
At first blush, it might not seem like such a hot idea to stage a food-centric fundraiser like 100 Men Who Cook just two days after Thanksgiving. Read more on this news related to 'Blush'
- How about a tony merlot to go with those Buffalo wings? Wine consumption is up in quick service restaurants, report says
Back in the old days when blush zinfandel was known as rosé and Liebfraumilch was a top choice of debonair sophisticates, the American drinking public seemed more inclined to opt for beer or liquor than for fine wines. That has all changed, of course. Wine is much more popular. And now it’s possible that a shift in wine consumption habits is underway. Today’s Read more on this news related to 'Blush'