Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Blotch'
n : an irregularly shaped spot [syn: splodge, splotch]
v : mark with spots or blotches of different color or shades of
color as if stained [syn: mottle, streak]
- Blotch \Blotch\, n. [Cf. OE. blacche in blacchepot blacking pot,
akin to black, as bleach is akin to bleak. See Black, a.,
or cf. Blot a spot.]
- A blot or spot, as of color or of ink; especially a large or irregular spot. Also Fig.; as, a moral blotch. Spots and blotches . . . some red, others yellow. --Harvey.
- (Med.) A large pustule, or a coarse eruption. Foul scurf and blotches him defile. --Thomson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Blotch'
A stain is a discoloration that can be clearly distinguished from the surface, material, or medium it is found upon. Stains are caused by the chemical or physical interaction of two dissimilar materials. Stains are used intentionally in a variety of fields, including in research (biochemical staining), technology (metal staining), and art (wood staining, stained glass.)
There can be intentional stains (such as wood stains or paint), and accidental stains (like spilling ketchup on your shirt). While the types of stains are very different in application, they all form in the same basic ways:
The primary method of stain formation is surface stains, where the staining substance is spilled out onto the surface or material and is trapped in the fibers, pores, indentations or other capillary structure of that surface.[See more about Blotch at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Blotch'
Blotch Sample Sentences in News
- Another blotch on Bengal wall as paint pioneer closes lid
Calcutta, July 16: Shalimar Paints, the oldest paint maker in Southeast Asia, has suspended work at its Howrah plant, joining a list of companies that have been testing the waters to shutter operations in Bengal in recent months. Read more on this news related to 'Blotch'
- Motorola's Digital Tattoo Unlocks the Moto X With a Tap
That blotch on the man's arm there isn't a bruise from where he was restrained by the police last night, it's a digital tattoo. A thin electronic film that sticks on and lets you securely unlock your phone with a tap of your arm, neck or wherever you stick it, using NFC. Read more... Read more on this news related to 'Blotch'
- Little Bennett Regional Park demonstrates outdoor activities at Saturday festival in Clarksburg -- Gazette.Net
Little Bennett Regional Park in Clarksburg is a lot more than a big green blotch on a Montgomery County road map. The relatively undeveloped 3,700-acre park — the largest in the Montgomery Parks system — is replete with fields, streams and woodlands crisscrossed by walking, riding and biking trails. Read more on this news related to 'Blotch'