Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Biting'
- capable of wounding; "a barbed compliment"; "a biting aphorism"; "pungent satire" [syn: barbed, nipping, pungent, mordacious]
- causing a sharply painful or stinging sensation; used especially of cold; "bitter cold"; "a biting wind" [syn: bitter]
- Bite \Bite\, v. t. [imp. Bit; p. p. Bitten, Bit; p. pr. &
vb. n. Biting.] [OE. biten, AS. b[=i]tan; akin to D.
bijten, OS. b[=i]tan, OHG. b[=i]zan, G. beissen, Goth.
beitan, Icel. b[=i]ta, Sw. bita, Dan. bide, L. findere to
cleave, Skr. bhid to cleave. [root]8
- Cf. Fissure.]
- To seize with the teeth, so that they enter or nip the thing seized; to lacerate, crush, or wound with the teeth; as, to bite an apple; to bite a crust; the dog bit a man. Such smiling rogues as these, Like rats, oft bite the holy cords atwain. --Shak.
- To puncture, abrade, or sting with an organ (of some insects) used in taking food.
- To cause sharp pain, or smarting, to; to hurt or injure, in a literal or a figurative sense; as, pepper bites the mouth. ``Frosts do bite the meads.'' --Shak.
- To cheat; to trick; to take in. [Colloq.] --Pope.
- To take hold of; to hold fast; to adhere to; as, the anchor bites the ground. The last screw of the rack having been turned so often that its purchase crumbled, . . . it turned and turned with nothing to bite. --Dickens. To bite the dust, To bite the ground, to fall in the agonies of death; as, he made his enemy bite the dust. To bite in (Etching), to corrode or eat into metallic plates by means of an acid. To bite the thumb at (any one), formerly a mark of contempt, designed to provoke a quarrel; to defy. ``Do you bite your thumb at us?'' --Shak. To bite the tongue, to keep silence. --Shak.
- Biting \Bit"ing\, a.
That bites; sharp; cutting; sarcastic; caustic. ``A biting
affliction.'' ``A biting jest.'' --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Biting'
A bite is a wound received from the mouth (and in particular, the teeth) of an animal, including humans. Animals may bite in self-defense, in an attempt to predate food, as well as part of normal interactions. Other bite attacks may be apparently unprovoked. Self inflicted bites occur in some genetic illnesses such as Lesch-Nyhan syndrome. Biting is an act that occurs when an animal uses its teeth to pierce another object, including food, flesh and inanimate matter. A person bitten by an animal potentially carrying parvovirus or rabies virus should consult a medical doctor immediately. A bite victim may also incur serious bacterial infections of the bone called osteomyelitis which can become life threatening if untreated, whether or not the animal has parvovirus or rabies virus.[See more about Biting at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Biting'
'Biting' in famous quotation sentence
* If you're pretty happy, but you have a little Chihuahua that's always biting you on the ankles, still that's pretty good isn't it I'm going to go ahead and keep you in the 'happy' category. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
Click here for more related quotations on 'Biting'
Biting Sample Sentences in News
- Man arrested after biting Colorado Springs bar patrons, lunging at police
Colorado Springs police say an intoxicated man in a wheelchair was arrested Wednesday night after provoking fights and biting people at a bar on South Circle Drive Wednesday evening. Read more on this news related to 'Biting'
- ABC's 'The Chew' biting into its 500th episode
When ABC's "The Chew" premiered in September 2011, it begged the question: Was it biting off more than a show like this could chew? Here was a rollicking weekday feast devoted to "everything ... Read more on this news related to 'Biting'
- Chhattisgarh polls: BJP-Congress in nail-biting contest
Chhattisgarh polls: BJP-Congress in nail-biting contest Read more on this news related to 'Biting'