Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bier'
- a coffin along with its stand; "we followed the bier to the graveyard"
- a stand to support a corpse or a coffin prior to burial
- Bier \Bier\, n. [OE. b[ae]e, beere, AS. b?r, b?re; akin to D.
baar, OHG. b[=a]ra, G. bahre, Icel barar, D? baare, L.
feretrum, Gr. ?, from the same ?? bear to produce. See 1st
Bear, and cf. Barrow.]
- A handbarrow or portable frame on which a corpse is placed or borne to the grave.
- (Weaving) A count of forty threads in the warp or chain of woolen cloth. --Knight.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bier'
A bier is a stand on which a corpse, or coffin or casket containing a corpse, is placed to lie in state or to be carried to the grave.
In Christian burial, the bier is often placed in the center of the nave with candles surrounding it, and remains in place during the funeral.
The bier is a flat frame, traditionally wooden but sometimes of other materials. In antiquity it was often a wooden board on which the dead was placed, covered with a shroud. In modern times, the corpse is rarely carried on the bier without being first placed in a coffin or casket, though the coffin or casket is sometimes kept open.
A bier is often draped with cloth to lend dignity to the funeral service. The modern funeral industry uses a collapsible aluminum bier on wheels, known as a "church truck" to move the coffin to and from the church or funeral home for services.[See more about Bier at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Bier'
'Bier' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Bier'
Bier Sample Sentences in News
- New Jennifer Lawrence-Bradley Cooper Movie Quietly Shopped to Buyers
CAA will start screening Susanne Bier's Depression-era drama "Serena," which was shot in early 2012, late this month -- with the Weinstein Co. and Fox Searchlight already interested in the project. read more Read more on this news related to 'Bier'
- Scandinavian Stars Join 'Game of Thrones' Actor in Susanne Bier Film
Maria Bonnevie, Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Ulrich Thomsen will co-star with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in drama "A Second Chance" from the Oscar-winning director. read more Read more on this news related to 'Bier'
- Public-access cable TV programming
• The Belau Report: Last Report to the People for 2013 with John Wade. president, Rochester Area Chamber of Commerce, Randy Staver, president, Rochester City Council, and Jim Bier, chairman, Olmsted C Read more on this news related to 'Bier'