Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bier'
- a coffin along with its stand; "we followed the bier to the graveyard"
- a stand to support a corpse or a coffin prior to burial
- Bier \Bier\, n. [OE. b[ae]e, beere, AS. b?r, b?re; akin to D.
baar, OHG. b[=a]ra, G. bahre, Icel barar, D? baare, L.
feretrum, Gr. ?, from the same ?? bear to produce. See 1st
Bear, and cf. Barrow.]
- A handbarrow or portable frame on which a corpse is placed or borne to the grave.
- (Weaving) A count of forty threads in the warp or chain of woolen cloth. --Knight.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bier'
A bier is a stand on which a corpse, or coffin or casket containing a corpse, is placed to lie in state or to be carried to the grave.
In Christian burial, the bier is often placed in the center of the nave with candles surrounding it, and remains in place during the funeral.
The bier is a flat frame, traditionally wooden but sometimes of other materials. In antiquity it was often a wooden board on which the dead was placed, covered with a shroud. In modern times, the corpse is rarely carried on the bier without being first placed in a coffin or casket, though the coffin or casket is sometimes kept open.
A bier is often draped with cloth to lend dignity to the funeral service. The modern funeral industry uses a collapsible aluminum bier on wheels, known as a "church truck" to move the coffin to and from the church or funeral home for services.[See more about Bier at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Bier'
'Bier' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Bier'
Bier Sample Sentences in News
- Coming Attractions: Rhein Haus Is Opening a New Outpost—in Denver
Rhein Haus, the bier hall formerly known as Von Trapp's, is expanding to Denver. Deming Maclise and James Weimann (Bastille, Stoneburner, Poquitos, Macleods) are opening a second location of the perpetually packed bar in the city's LoDo neighborhood next... Read more on this news related to 'Bier'
- Coming Attractions : Rhein Haus, A German Bier Hall, Is Coming to LoDo
Rhein Haus Seattle Next spring, Rhein Haus will open its doors at the corner of 14th and Market, in the spot that housed the flagship location of Old Chicago until March. The two-story, 6,000-square-foot building will be transformed into... Read more on this news related to 'Bier'
- Switcheroos: Huge Bier Hall Von Trapp's Now Named Rhein Haus
Starting today, the 10,000-square-foot bier hall Von Trapp's has a new name: Rhein Haus. Per a statement that's still hot off the press: Though the owners vetted the original name and got the federal trademark before opening in early... Read more on this news related to 'Bier'