Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Beleaguered'
Beleaguered Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Beleaguer \Be*lea"guer\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Beleaguered; p.
pr. & vb. n. Beleaguering.] [D. belegeren (akin to G.
belagern, Sw. bel["a]gra, Dan. beleire); pref. be- = E. be- +
leger bed, camp, army, akin to E. lair. See Lair.]
To surround with an army so as to preclude escape; to
besiege; to blockade.
The wail of famine in beleaguered towns. --Longfellow.
Syn: To block up; environ; invest; encompass.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Beleaguered'
- Beleaguered Castle: Beleaguered Castle is a solitaire card game played with a deck of 52 playing card s. It is one of the games touted as "Freecell without ...
Words and phrases related to 'Beleaguered'
Beleaguered Sample Sentences in News
- Obama's NSA nominee aims to build trust in beleaguered spy agency
By Patricia Zengerle and Phil Stewart WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama's pick to lead the National Security Agency pledged on Tuesday to look for ways to build confidence in the beleaguered spy agency and, in a possible shift, stopped short of calling former contractor Edward Snowden a traitor. Vice Admiral Michael Rogers, now the Navy's top c Read more on this news related to 'Beleaguered'
- Extra flights for mining forum
Beleaguered airline Qantas has announced an additional eight flights for Kalgoorlie-Boulder to meet demand for the Diggers and Dealers Mining Forum in August. Read more on this news related to 'Beleaguered'
- Battered SAC Capital morphs into Point72
After a year of scandal, beleaguered hedge fund SAC Capital is renaming itself as Point72 Asset Management, The New York Times reported on Tuesday. Read more on this news related to 'Beleaguered'