Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Beleaguered'
Beleaguered Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Beleaguer \Be*lea"guer\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Beleaguered; p.
pr. & vb. n. Beleaguering.] [D. belegeren (akin to G.
belagern, Sw. bel["a]gra, Dan. beleire); pref. be- = E. be- +
leger bed, camp, army, akin to E. lair. See Lair.]
To surround with an army so as to preclude escape; to
besiege; to blockade.
The wail of famine in beleaguered towns. --Longfellow.
Syn: To block up; environ; invest; encompass.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Beleaguered'
- Beleaguered Castle: Beleaguered Castle is a solitaire card game played with a deck of 52 playing card s. It is one of the games touted as "Freecell without ...
Words and phrases related to 'Beleaguered'
Beleaguered Sample Sentences in News
- Beleaguered Dell’s earnings fall 79% as Windows PC sales fall
Beleaguered Dell reported a 79 percent slide in profit as Windows PC sales continued to decline... Read more on this news related to 'Beleaguered'
- Beleaguered J.C. Penney Posts Another Big Loss
The company said it lost $348 million, or $1.58 per share, as it tried to bounce back from a misguided overhaul set in motion by its previous C.E.O. Read more on this news related to 'Beleaguered'
- In France, a Beleaguered President Defends His Tenure
As his country slid back into a recession, President François Hollande of France promised new measures to lower unemployment and coordinate economic policies in the euro zone. Read more on this news related to 'Beleaguered'