Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Beleaguered'
Beleaguered Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Beleaguer \Be*lea"guer\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Beleaguered; p.
pr. & vb. n. Beleaguering.] [D. belegeren (akin to G.
belagern, Sw. bel["a]gra, Dan. beleire); pref. be- = E. be- +
leger bed, camp, army, akin to E. lair. See Lair.]
To surround with an army so as to preclude escape; to
besiege; to blockade.
The wail of famine in beleaguered towns. --Longfellow.
Syn: To block up; environ; invest; encompass.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Beleaguered'
- Beleaguered Castle: Beleaguered Castle is a solitaire card game played with a deck of 52 playing card s. It is one of the games touted as "Freecell without ...
Words and phrases related to 'Beleaguered'
Beleaguered Sample Sentences in News
- Beleaguered Iran envoy pick could offer diplomatic do-over
Iran has now formally complained to the United Nations over the US refusal of a visa for Hamid Aboutalebi, Tehran’s new ambassador to the United Nations. The dispute offers a... Read more on this news related to 'Beleaguered'
- Real estate investors' haven: Detroit
Beleaguered city has good deals, high occupancy rates and relatively high rents. Read more on this news related to 'Beleaguered'
- Beleaguered Microsoft’s hardships continue
We continue to advise investor caution on shares of Microsoft... Read more on this news related to 'Beleaguered'