Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Belching'
- the forceful expulsion of something from inside; "the belching of smoke from factory chimneys"
- a reflex that expels wind noisily from the stomach through the mouth [syn: belch, burp, burping, eructation]
- Belch \Belch\ (b[e^]lch; 224), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Belched
(b[e^]lcht); p. pr. & vb. n. Belching.] [OE. belken, AS.
bealcan, akin to E. bellow. See Bellow, v. i.]
- To eject or throw up from the stomach with violence; to eruct. I belched a hurricane of wind. --Swift.
- To eject violently from within; to cast forth; to emit; to give vent to; to vent. Within the gates that now Stood open wide, belching outrageous flame. --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Belching'
Belching (also known as burping, ructus, or eructation) involves the release of gas from the digestive tract (mainly esophagus and stomach) through the mouth. It is usually accompanied with a typical sound and, at times, an odor. In most parts of the world, especially in formal situations, audible burping is considered impolite. Belching in front of people in public places tends to be received in a manner similar to flatulence.
Belching is typically caused by swallowing air (aerophagia) when eating or drinking and subsequently expelling it, so in this case the expelled gas is mainly a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen. Burps can also be caused by drinking carbonated drinks such as beer, soft drinks, energy drinks or champagne, in which case the expelled gas is carbon dioxide from the drink itself. Common diabetes drugs metformin[See more about Belching at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Belching'