Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Beastly'
- very unpleasant; "hellish weather"; "stop that god-awful racket" [syn: hellish, god-awful]
- resembling a beast; showing lack of human sensibility; "beastly desires"; "a bestial nature"; "brute force"; "a dull and brutish man"; "bestial treatment of prisoners" [syn: bestial, brute(a), brutish] adv : in a beastly manner; "she behaved beastly toward her mother-in-law" [also: beastliest, beastlier]
- Beastly \Beast"ly\, a.
- Pertaining to, or having the form, nature, or habits of, a beast. Beastly divinities and droves of gods. --Prior.
- Characterizing the nature of a beast; contrary to the nature and dignity of man; brutal; filthy. The beastly vice of drinking to excess. --Swift.
- Abominable; as, beastly weather. [Colloq. Eng.] Syn: Bestial; brutish; irrational; sensual; degrading.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Beastly'
Beastly is a 2007 novel by Alex Flinn. It is a retelling of the fairytale Beauty and the Beast set in modern-day New York City. Flinn researched many versions of the Beauty and the Beast story to write her book. Many of these are playfully alluded to in portions of the book, particularly the chat room transcripts in which the character of Kyle talks to other teens who have been transformed into creatures.
Kyle Kingsbury is rich, handsome, and popular. He truly has it all...or so he thinks. That is until one day when a strange and ugly girl named Kendra appears in one of his classes and tries his 'royal' status, of course Kyle instantly takes this opportunity to bully her. He invites her to the upcoming dance to which he already has a date just so that he can embarrass her. It is then that Kendra reveals herself to be a beautiful witch and punishes him for his cruelty by condemning him to live as a beast. However, because of his one act of kindness (he gave a rose to the girl that was working the ticket booth) she gives him two years to find somebody who can love him for who he is, not what he looks like...and when he does, the girl must prove her love with a kiss. She gives to him a mirror with which he can see whomever he'd like, then vanishes. Kyle's shallow father - ashamed by his son's new appearance - purchases Kyle his own apartment where he proceeds to live with their housekeeper, Magda. His father also sends Kyle a blind tutor named Will who at first doubts that Kyle truly is a beast. Kyle then allows him to touch his hairy hand which leads Will to believe him and the two later become friends. Will suggests that Kyle take up a hobby to pass the time, he chooses gardening. Kyle then builds a greenhouse where he plants many roses which he tends to each day, they become very dear to him.[See more about Beastly at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Beastly'
Beastly Sample Sentences in News
- Our beastly selves: Parashat Vayikra
What is a dedicated vegetarian, who is also a believing, contemporary Jew, to make of the book of Leviticus, specifically this week’s Torah portion, Vayikra? Read more on this news related to 'Beastly'
- Beastly title: Seniors lead Bearcats to tourney’s top
The Sherman Bearcats got wins on consecutive days against Lake Dallas to win the Sherman Invitational. Read more on this news related to 'Beastly'
- 'Flowtie' Adds Needed Air to Beastly Camaro Z/28
Sometimes when you're wearing a tuxedo you've just got to loosen that bowtie so you can breathe a little easier. GM engineers basically used the same concept to improve the performance of the made-for-the-track 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 by increasing... Read more on this news related to 'Beastly'