Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Beastly'
- very unpleasant; "hellish weather"; "stop that god-awful racket" [syn: hellish, god-awful]
- resembling a beast; showing lack of human sensibility; "beastly desires"; "a bestial nature"; "brute force"; "a dull and brutish man"; "bestial treatment of prisoners" [syn: bestial, brute(a), brutish] adv : in a beastly manner; "she behaved beastly toward her mother-in-law" [also: beastliest, beastlier]
- Beastly \Beast"ly\, a.
- Pertaining to, or having the form, nature, or habits of, a beast. Beastly divinities and droves of gods. --Prior.
- Characterizing the nature of a beast; contrary to the nature and dignity of man; brutal; filthy. The beastly vice of drinking to excess. --Swift.
- Abominable; as, beastly weather. [Colloq. Eng.] Syn: Bestial; brutish; irrational; sensual; degrading.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Beastly'
Beastly is a 2007 novel by Alex Flinn. It is a retelling of the fairytale Beauty and the Beast set in modern-day New York City. Flinn researched many versions of the Beauty and the Beast story to write her book. Many of these are playfully alluded to in portions of the book, particularly the chat room transcripts in which the character of Kyle talks to other teens who have been transformed into creatures.
Kyle Kingsbury is rich, handsome, and popular. He truly has it all...or so he thinks. That is until one day when a strange and ugly girl named Kendra appears in one of his classes and tries his 'royal' status, of course Kyle instantly takes this opportunity to bully her. He invites her to the upcoming dance to which he already has a date just so that he can embarrass her. It is then that Kendra reveals herself to be a beautiful witch and punishes him for his cruelty by condemning him to live as a beast. However, because of his one act of kindness (he gave a rose to the girl that was working the ticket booth) she gives him two years to find somebody who can love him for who he is, not what he looks like...and when he does, the girl must prove her love with a kiss. She gives to him a mirror with which he can see whomever he'd like, then vanishes. Kyle's shallow father - ashamed by his son's new appearance - purchases Kyle his own apartment where he proceeds to live with their housekeeper, Magda. His father also sends Kyle a blind tutor named Will who at first doubts that Kyle truly is a beast. Kyle then allows him to touch his hairy hand which leads Will to believe him and the two later become friends. Will suggests that Kyle take up a hobby to pass the time, he chooses gardening. Kyle then builds a greenhouse where he plants many roses which he tends to each day, they become very dear to him.[See more about Beastly at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Beastly'
Beastly Sample Sentences in News
- The Nexus 9’s beastly 64-bit processor may have just been unveiled
NVIDIA on Monday unveiled its Tegra K1 “Denver” processor, which the company says it’ll be the “first 64-bit ARM processor for Android.” Interestingly, the HTC-made Google Nexus 9 has been rumored for quite a while to come with a NVIDIA Tegra 64-big processor on board, and the K1 “Denver” may be exactly that processor. FROM EARLIER: Key details about Read more on this news related to 'Beastly'
- Darling, you were beastly
So the old bloke from Jurassic Park who looked like Santa Claus has died. You know — the geezer who actually was Santa Claus in Miracle on 34th Street. What do you mean, “in the second one”? Read more on this news related to 'Beastly'
- Datebook: Beastly dinner, calligraphy art, sonic pieces at Schindler
A dinner and performance that channel Jacques Derrida and a bestiary, a series of sound pieces at Rudolph Schindler's historic home in West Hollywood, and art made from Arabic and Farsi calligraphy. Plus, YouTubing in a parking lot and a book party for a new tome that captures the people of the... Read more on this news related to 'Beastly'