Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Beard'
- the hair growing on the lower part of a man's face [syn: face fungus, whiskers]
- a tuft or growth of hairs or bristles on certain plants such as iris or grasses
- a person who diverts suspicion from someone (especially a woman who accompanies a male homosexual in order to conceal his homosexuality)
- hairy growth on or near the face of certain mammals
- tuft of strong filaments by which e.g. a mussel makes itself fast to a fixed surface [syn: byssus] v : go along the rim, like a beard around the chin; "Houses bearded the top of the heights"
- Beard \Beard\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bearded; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To take by the beard; to seize, pluck, or pull the beard of (a man), in anger or contempt.
- To oppose to the gills; to set at defiance. No admiral, bearded by three corrupt and dissolute minions of the palace, dared to do more than mutter something about a court martial. --Macaulay.
- To deprive of the gills; -- used only of oysters and similar shellfish.
- Beard \Beard\, n. [OE. berd, AS. beard; akin to Fries. berd, D.
baard, G. bart, Lith. barzda, OSlav. brada, Pol. broda, Russ.
boroda, L. barba, W. barf. Cf. 1st Barb.]
- The hair that grows on the chin, lips, and adjacent parts of the human face, chiefly of male adults.
- (Zo["o]l.) (a) The long hairs about the face in animals, as in the goat. (b) The cluster of small feathers at the base of the beak in some birds (c) The appendages to the jaw in some Cetacea, and to the mouth or jaws of some fishes. (d) The byssus of certain shellfish, as the muscle. (e) The gills of some bivalves, as the oyster. (f) In insects, the hairs of the labial palpi of moths and butterflies.
- (Bot.) Long or stiff hairs on a plant; the awn; as, the beard of grain.
- A barb or sharp point of an arrow or other instrument, projecting backward to prevent the head from being easily drawn out.
- That part of the under side of a horse's lower jaw which is above the chin, and bears the curb of a bridle.
- (Print.) That part of a type which is between the shoulder of the shank and the face.
- An imposition; a trick. [Obs.] --Chaucer. Beard grass (Bot.), a coarse, perennial grass of different
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Beard'
A beard is the collection of hair that grows on the chin, cheeks and neck, but not the upper lip, of human beings. Usually, only pubescent or adult males are able to grow beards. However, women with hirsutism may develop a beard. When differentiating between upper and lower facial hair, a beard specifically refers to the facial hair on the lower part of a man's chin (excluding the moustache, which refers to hair above the upper lip and around it).
The Greek word for beard: "pogon" is the root of a number of technical and humorous words relating to beards. For example the study of beards is called "pogonology", giving rise to "pogonologist" and similar words. Those terms are fairly respectable because the study is non-trivial (in fact challenging) and apart from constituting a specialism in the field of dermatology, research pogonologists commonly are employed by major producers of cosmetic products and equipment.[See more about Beard at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Beard'
'Beard' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Beard'
Beard Sample Sentences in News
- US, siding with Muslim officer, sues school district over beard policy
The US Department of Justice is suing the Philadelphia public school district, saying its grooming policy violates religious freedoms because it does not allow exemptions for those whose religious faith calls for different dress or grooming standards. At issue is the beard worn by Siddiq Abu-Bakr, a 27-year veteran of the district’s police force. An October 2010 Read more on this news related to 'Beard'
- Australian man selling 'luscious and captivating' beard for $1M
Sydney's Scott Maggs is selling "the most valuable fields of facial follicles known to man" for $1 million to raise money for skin cancer research after his friend died from the disease. Read more on this news related to 'Beard'
- Amanda Beard Blogs About Turning Parenting Problems into Positives
The Olympian writes about making mountains into molehills - and more Read more on this news related to 'Beard'