Bay Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a horse of a moderate reddish-brown color
- a small recess opening off a larger room
- a compartment in an aircraft used for some specific purpose; "he opened the bomb bay"
- a compartment on a ship between decks; often used as a hospital; "they put him in the sick bay"
- the sound of a hound on the scent
- an indentation of a shoreline larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf
- small Mediterranean evergreen tree with small blackish berries and glossy aromatic leaves used for flavoring in cooking; also used by ancient Greeks to crown victors
- bark with prolonged noises, of dogs
- utter in deep prolonged tones
- (used of animals especially a horse) of a moderate reddish-brown color
Definitions from Wiktionary
- an indentation of a shoreline larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf ,
- the sound of a hound on the scent ,
- small Mediterranean evergreen tree with small blackish berries and glossy aromatic leaves used for flavoring in cooking; also used by ancient Greeks to crown victors ,
- a compartment on a ship between decks; often used as a hospital; "they put him in the sick bay" ,
- a compartment in an aircraft used for some specific purpose; "he opened the bomb bay" ,
- a small recess opening off a larger room ,
- a horse of a moderate reddish-brown color
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Bay'?
Bay Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A headland is an area of land that is surrounded by water on three sides. Very often, the land areas are called capes. A bay is an area of water. It is surrounded by land on three sides. The water areas are also called gulfs. Headlands are made of hard rock and bays are made of soft rock. It takes the hard rock longer to erode.
A bay is a large body of water in the land next to a sea or lake between two headlands. The waves coming to the shore in a bay are usually constructive waves, and because of this, many of them have a beach. A bay may be metres across, or it could be hundreds of kilometres across. Bays form where weak rocks, such as sands and clays, are eroded, leaving bands of stronger rocks, such as chalk, limestone, or granite, forming a headland, or peninsula.
Headlands and bays are formed when there are parallel sections of softer and harder rock perpendicular to the coast. The sea erodes the softer rock faster than the harder rock, forming a bay. The harder rock that is left protruding into the sea is the headland. They also can be made by people mining off the coast
Words and phrases related to 'Bay'
Meaning of the Name 'Bay'
- Meaning: Born in July; seventh-born son
- Origin: Vietnamese
- Gender: Male
'Bay' example sentence in quotations
* Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. - Vince Lombardi
* Uncertainty and mystery are energies of life. Don't let them scare you unduly, for they keep boredom at bay and spark creativity. - R. I. Fitzhenry
Click here for more related quotations on 'Bay'
Bay Sample Sentences in News
- Malvertising Sneaks Aboard The Pirate Bay
Let's be real: the ads on websites like The Pirate Bay can be awful. Malvertising as a method of infecting computers has been around for years, but the frequency of attacks that use it seems to be growing rapidly. Because malvertising infects ad networks used by many websites, instead of the individual websites themselves, it can be difficult to detect and inc Read more on this news related to 'Bay'
- Buccaneers vs. Steelers Final Score: Tampa Bay beats Pittsburgh, 27-24
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers pulled out a last-second stunner against the Pittsburgh Steelers, beating them 27-24 The Tampa Bay Buccaneers pulled out a late stunner against the Pittsburgh Steelers as Mike Glennon led the Bucs to victory on their final drive of the game. While the Steelers dominated the first half, the Bucs kept the game close throughout and somehow fo Read more on this news related to 'Bay'
- The Tampa Bay Lightning as "the Green Bay Packers of the NHL"; Understanding Jeff Vinik's ambition
It's not about bratwurst or the Lambaeu Leap that inspires Lightning ownership's comparison to the history NFL franchise. During Fan Fest at the Amalie on Saturday morning, Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik participated in a question and answer session with fans inside the arena. "Frankly we were losing a lot of money when we first bought the team, Read more on this news related to 'Bay'