Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bay'
adj : (used of animals especially a horse) of a moderate
- an indentation of a shoreline larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf
- the sound of a hound on the scent
- small Mediterranean evergreen tree with small blackish berries and glossy aromatic leaves used for flavoring in cooking; also used by ancient Greeks to crown victors [syn: true laurel, bay laurel, bay tree, Laurus nobilis}]
- a compartment on a ship between decks; often used as a hospital; "they put him in the sick bay"
- a compartment in an aircraft used for some specific purpose; "he opened the bomb bay"
- a small recess opening off a larger room [syn: alcove]
- a horse of a moderate reddish-brown color v
- utter in deep prolonged tones
- bark with prolonged noises, of dogs [syn: quest]
- Bay \Bay\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Bayed (?); p. pr. & vb. n.
Baying.] [ OE. bayen, abayen, OF. abaier, F. aboyer, to
bark; of uncertain origin.]
To bark, as a dog with a deep voice does, at his game.
The hounds at nearer distance hoarsely bayed. --Dryden.
- Bay \Bay\, v. t.
To bark at; hence, to follow with barking; to bring or drive
to bay; as, to bay the bear. --Shak.
- Bay \Bay\, n. [See Bay, v. i.]
- Deep-toned, prolonged barking. ``The bay of curs.'' --Cowper.
- [OE. bay, abay, OF. abai, F. aboi barking, pl. abois, prop. the extremity to which the stag is reduced when surrounded by the dogs, barking (aboyant); aux abois at bay.] A state of being obliged to face an antagonist or a difficulty, when escape has become impossible. Embolden'd by despair, he stood at bay. --Dryden. The most terrible evils are just kept at bay by incessant efforts. --I. Taylor
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bay'
Bays are an area of water mostly surrounded by land. Bays generally have calmer waters than the surrounding sea, due to the surrounding land blocking some waves and often reducing winds. Bays also exist as an inlet in a lake or pond. A large bay may be called a gulf, a sea, a sound, or a bight. A cove is a circular or oval coastal inlet with a narrow entrance; some coves may be referred to as bays.
Bays and gulfs were significant in the history of human settlement because they provided a safe place for fishing. Later they were important in the development of sea trade as the safe anchorage they provided encouraged their selection as ports. Any bay may contain fish and other sea creatures or be adjacent to other bays, for example, James Bay is adjacent to Hudson Bay. Large bays, such as the Bay of Bengal and the Hudson Bay, have varied marine geology.[See more about Bay at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Bay'
Meaning of the Name 'Bay'
- Meaning: Born in July; seventh-born son
- Origin: Vietnamese
- Gender: Male
'Bay' in famous quotation sentence
* Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. - Vince Lombardi
* Uncertainty and mystery are energies of life. Don't let them scare you unduly, for they keep boredom at bay and spark creativity. - R. I. Fitzhenry
Click here for more related quotations on 'Bay'
Bay Sample Sentences in News
- Green Bay coach mostly cleared of allegations
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay men's basketball coach Brian Wardle will keep his job after an independent review largely cleared him of allegations that he mistreated his players, university officials said Friday. Read more on this news related to 'Bay'
- Pivot Charter School North Bay Granted Full WASC Accreditation
Pivot Charter School, North Bay, a tuition-free public charter school serving students, grades 6-12, in Sonoma and surrounding counties, announced today that it has received full accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges , one of six regional organizations that accredit public and private schools, colleges, and universities in the United S Read more on this news related to 'Bay'
- Most Bay Area beaches are clean, report says
Most Bay Area beaches are clean, report says Bay Area beach-goers can expect a long healthy summer at the water's edge: water quality at most Bay Area beaches remains clean and clear, according to a report released Thursday. Almost all Bay Area beaches had zero or very low levels of bacteria from sewage, agricultural runoff or animal waste, according to Heal t Read more on this news related to 'Bay'