Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bay'
adj : (used of animals especially a horse) of a moderate
- an indentation of a shoreline larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf
- the sound of a hound on the scent
- small Mediterranean evergreen tree with small blackish berries and glossy aromatic leaves used for flavoring in cooking; also used by ancient Greeks to crown victors [syn: true laurel, bay laurel, bay tree, Laurus nobilis}]
- a compartment on a ship between decks; often used as a hospital; "they put him in the sick bay"
- a compartment in an aircraft used for some specific purpose; "he opened the bomb bay"
- a small recess opening off a larger room [syn: alcove]
- a horse of a moderate reddish-brown color v
- utter in deep prolonged tones
- bark with prolonged noises, of dogs [syn: quest]
- Bay \Bay\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Bayed (?); p. pr. & vb. n.
Baying.] [ OE. bayen, abayen, OF. abaier, F. aboyer, to
bark; of uncertain origin.]
To bark, as a dog with a deep voice does, at his game.
The hounds at nearer distance hoarsely bayed. --Dryden.
- Bay \Bay\, v. t.
To bark at; hence, to follow with barking; to bring or drive
to bay; as, to bay the bear. --Shak.
- Bay \Bay\, n. [See Bay, v. i.]
- Deep-toned, prolonged barking. ``The bay of curs.'' --Cowper.
- [OE. bay, abay, OF. abai, F. aboi barking, pl. abois, prop. the extremity to which the stag is reduced when surrounded by the dogs, barking (aboyant); aux abois at bay.] A state of being obliged to face an antagonist or a difficulty, when escape has become impossible. Embolden'd by despair, he stood at bay. --Dryden. The most terrible evils are just kept at bay by incessant efforts. --I. Taylor
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bay'
Bays are an area of water mostly surrounded by land. Bays generally have calmer waters than the surrounding sea, due to the surrounding land blocking some waves and often reducing winds. Bays also exist as an inlet in a lake or pond. A large bay may be called a gulf, a sea, a sound, or a bight. A cove is a circular or oval coastal inlet with a narrow entrance; some coves may be referred to as bays.
Bays and gulfs were significant in the history of human settlement because they provided a safe place for fishing. Later they were important in the development of sea trade as the safe anchorage they provided encouraged their selection as ports. Any bay may contain fish and other sea creatures or be adjacent to other bays, for example, James Bay is adjacent to Hudson Bay. Large bays, such as the Bay of Bengal and the Hudson Bay, have varied marine geology.[See more about Bay at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Bay'
Meaning of the Name 'Bay'
- Meaning: Born in July; seventh-born son
- Origin: Vietnamese
- Gender: Male
'Bay' in famous quotation sentence
* Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. - Vince Lombardi
* Uncertainty and mystery are energies of life. Don't let them scare you unduly, for they keep boredom at bay and spark creativity. - R. I. Fitzhenry
Click here for more related quotations on 'Bay'
Bay Sample Sentences in News
- Three Bold Predictions for the Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas
COMMENTARY | The Green Bay Packers will face the Dallas Cowboys in a high-pressure matchup on Sunday afternoon. Green Bay is still in the NFC North division race, but they have work to do. At just 6-6-1, they trail both the Detroit Lions (7-6) and Chicago Bears (7-6). Dallas is a very tough opponent, so the Packers need to bring their best effort to the field. Read more on this news related to 'Bay'
- Can Matt Flynn Keep the Green Bay Packers Alive One More Week?
COMMENTARY | The Green Bay Packers are coming off of a much needed win over the Atlanta Falcons, but it isn't looking very likely that superstar quarterback Aaron Rodgers will be able to return against the Cowboys this week. Matt Flynn is 1-1 as the Green Bay starting quarterback since returning to the Packers, and will likely be asked to keep the Packers' Read more on this news related to 'Bay'
- Hudson's Bay outlook disappoints; loss widens on Saks deal
Hudson's Bay Co cut its 2013 outlook on Wednesday on expectations of heavier holiday discounting and as overall sales were weaker than expected in the third quarter, depressing the retailer's stock 5 percent. The company, which completed its $2.4 billion purchase of U.S. luxury chain Saks Inc last month, reported a wider net loss primarily due to costs rel Read more on this news related to 'Bay'