Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bauble'
- a mock scepter carried by a court jester
- cheap showy jewelry or ornament on clothing [syn: bangle, gaud, gewgaw, novelty, fallal, trinket]
- Bauble \Bau"ble\, n. [Cf. OF. baubel a child's plaything, F.
babiole, It. babbola, LL. baubellum gem, jewel, L. babulus, a
- A trifling piece of finery; a gewgaw; that which is gay and showy without real value; a cheap, showy plaything. The ineffective bauble of an Indian pagod. --Sheridan.
- The fool's club. [Obs.] ``A fool's bauble was a short stick with a head ornamented with an ass's ears fantastically carved upon it.'' --Nares.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bauble'
A bauble was originally a stick with a weight attached, used in weighing a child's toy, but especially the mock symbol of office carried by a court jester. This fool's bauble was a baton terminating in a figure of Folly with cap and bells, and sometimes having a bladder fastened to the other end. Subsequently it became a term for anything trivial or childishly folly.
More recently the term means a virtually worthless decorative object.
As an indicator of folly or madness, the fool's bauble has been used notably in several works of art such as the 18th century examples L'Amour Conduit Par La Folie, by Michel Honoré Bounieu and La Folie pare la Decrepitude des ajustemens de la Jeunesse, by Louis Surugue.[See more about Bauble at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Bauble'
Bauble Sample Sentences in News
- Is Charlize Theron Engaged to Sean Penn? Star Spotted With Gleaming Ring on That Finger
Are Charlize Theron and Sean Penn heading to the altar? Theron was spotted arriving at Los Angeles International Airport today wearing demin-on-denim and sporting a shiny new bauble... Read more on this news related to 'Bauble'
- Versailles To Get First New Permanent Sculpture In 300 Years
Versailles embraces contemporary art. Well, sort of. Versailles, the opulent royal landmark that awes millions of visitors each year, is adding yet another bauble to its crown--or 2,000 baubles, to be exact. French artist Jean-Michel Othoniel is near to completing three fountain-sculptures composed of 2,000 bowling ball-sized orbs that are set to be installed late Read more on this news related to 'Bauble'
- Charlize-Theron-Sean-Penn-engaged rumor becomes no-they're-not rumor
Sometimes a ring is just a ring, no matter what finger it's on. That according to a source who says Charlize Theron, and not Sean Penn, bought a bauble that sparked rumors about the couple being engaged. Read more on this news related to 'Bauble'