Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bassinet'
- a basket (usually hooded) used as a baby's bed
- a perambulator that resembles a bassinet
- Bassinet \Bas"si*net\, n. [Cf. F. bassinet, dim. of bassin. See
Basin, and cf. Bascinet.]
- A wicker basket, with a covering or hood over one end, in which young children are placed as in a cradle.
- See Bascinet. --Lord Lytton.
- Bascinet \Bas"ci*net\, n. [OE. bacinet, basnet, OF. bassinet,
bacinet, F. bassinet, dim. of OF. bacin, F. bassin, a helmet
in the form of a basin.]
A light helmet, at first open, but later made with a visor.
[Written also basinet, bassinet, basnet.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bassinet'
A bassinet or bassinette is a bed specifically for babies from birth to about four months, and small enough to provide a "cocoon" that small babies find comforting. In some parts of the more developed world, such as Australia, a bassinet is also the term for a baby bouncing device used to relax a baby when it is going to sleep.
In a hospital environment, a special form of sealed bassinet is used in a neonatal intensive care unit.
On many domestic and nearly all long distance flights, most airlines provide a bassinet (which is attached to a bulkhead) to adults travelling with an infant, i.e. a child under the age of two. The use of the bassinet is restricted by the infant's size and weight.
Research has shown that the mattress influences SIDS outcomes; a firm mattress lowers SIDS risk.[See more about Bassinet at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Bassinet'