Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Bass'
Bass Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : having or denoting a low vocal or instrumental range; "a
deep voice"; "a bass voice is lower than a baritone
voice"; "a bass clarinet" [syn: deep]
- the lowest part of the musical range
- the lowest part in polyphonic music [syn: bass part]
- an adult male singer with the lowest voice [syn: basso]
- the lean flesh of a saltwater fish of the family Serranidae [syn: sea bass]
- any of various North American freshwater fish with lean flesh (especially of the genus Micropterus) [syn: freshwater bass}]
- the lowest adult male singing voice [syn: bass voice, basso]
- the member with the lowest range of a family of musical instruments
- nontechnical name for any of numerous edible marine and freshwater spiny-finned fishes
- Bass \Bass\, n. [A corruption of bast.]
- (Bot.) The linden or lime tree, sometimes wrongly called whitewood; also, its bark, which is used for making mats. See Bast.
- (Pron. ?) A hassock or thick mat.
- Bass \Bass\, n. [F. basse, fr. bas low. See Base, a.]
- A bass, or deep, sound or tone.
- (Mus.) (a) The lowest part in a musical composition. (b) One who sings, or the instrument which plays, bass. [Written also base.] Thorough bass. See Thorough bass.
- Bass \Bass\, a.
Deep or grave in tone.
Bass clef (Mus.), the character placed at the beginning of
the staff containing the bass part of a musical
composition. [See Illust. under Clef.]
Bass voice, a deep-sounding voice; a voice fitted for
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bass'
- Bass: NOTOC_Bass or Basses may refer to: Bass (sound), describing low-frequency sound. Bass (fish), various freshwater and saltwater species ...
- Bass guitar: The bass guitar (also called electric bass or simply bass; ˈbeɪs, as in "base") is a stringed instrument played primarily with the finger ...
- Double bass: The double bass, also called the string bass, upright bass, bass violin or contrabass, is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string ...
- Bassist: A bass player, or bassist is a musician who plays a bass instrument such as a double bass , bass guitar , keyboard bass or a low brass ...
- Bass (voice type): A bass is a type of male singing voice and possesses the lowest vocal range of all voice type s. a bass is typically classified as ...
- Bass (instrument): Bass (pronounced "base") describes musical instrument s that produce tones in the low-pitched range . They belong to different families ...
- Bass (fish): Bass (ˈbæs) is a name shared by many different species of popular gamefish . The term encompasses both freshwater and marine species. ...
- Drum and bass: Drum and bass (also written as "drum 'n' bass" and commonly abbreviated to D&B or DnB) is a type of electronic dance music which emerged ...
- Bass drum: The bass drums are of variable sizes and are used in several musical genres (see usage below). Three major types of bass drums can be ...
- Acoustic bass guitar: The acoustic bass guitar (also called ABG or acoustic bass) is a bass instrument with a hollow wooden body similar to, though usually ...
Words and phrases related to 'Bass'