Bankruptcy Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a legal process intended to insure equality among the creditors of a corporation declared in bankruptcy
- inability to discharge all your debts as they come due; "the company had to declare bankruptcy"; "fraudulent loans led to the failure of many banks"
- a state of complete lack of some abstract property; "spiritual bankruptcy"; "moral bankruptcy"; "intellectual bankruptcy"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a state of complete lack of some abstract property; "spiritual bankruptcy"; "moral bankruptcy"; "intellectual bankruptcy" ,
- inability to discharge all your debts as they come due; "the company had to declare bankruptcy"; "fraudulent loans led to the failure of many banks" ,
- a legal process intended to insure equality among the creditors of a corporation declared to be insolvent
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Bankruptcy'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Bankruptcy'
- Bankruptcy: Bankruptcy is a legal status of an insolvent person or an organisation, that is, one that cannot repay the debts owed to creditors . ...
- Bankruptcy in the United States: Bankruptcy in the United States is governed under the United States Constitution (Article 1, Section 8, Clause 4) which authorizes Congress ...
- Bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers: Lehman Brothers filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on September 15, 2008. The bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers remains the largest ...
- Personal bankruptcy: Personal bankruptcy is a procedure which, in certain jurisdiction s, allows an individual to declare bankruptcy . bankruptcies are ...
- Bankruptcy in the United Kingdom: Bankruptcy in the United Kingdom does not have a singular law. There is one system for England and Wales , one for Northern Ireland and ...
Words and phrases related to 'Bankruptcy'
Bankruptcy Sample Sentences in News
- Bankruptcy court approves Fisker sale to Chinese firm
A bankruptcy court has approved the sale of one-time star electric carmaker Fisker Automotive to the Chinese auto parts group Wanxiang, the US firm said Monday. California-based Fisker said it received approval from the bankruptcy court in Delaware of its sale for $149.2 million. Fisker was started in southern California in 2007 by former Aston Martin and BMW desi Read more on this news related to 'Bankruptcy'
- Detroit Was Insolvent When Bankruptcy Filed, Auditor Says
Detroit was insolvent when it filed its record $18 billion municipal bankruptcy last year, with a deficit of $130 million, according to a financial report released by the city. Read more on this news related to 'Bankruptcy'
- Hold-out creditor argues for dismissal of Detroit bankruptcy case
One of the biggest hold-out creditors in Detroit's bankruptcy will argue next month for a dismissal of the historic case to lead to more equitable treatment of all the city's creditors, according to a report obtained by Reuters on Monday. Detroit's plan to adjust $18 billion of debt has been approved by most, but not all, of the city's unsecured cr Read more on this news related to 'Bankruptcy'