Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Balking'
adj : stopping short and refusing to go on; "a balking"; "a balky
mule"; "a balky customer" [syn: balky]
- Balk \Balk\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Balked (?); p. pr. & vb. n.
Balking.] [From Balk a beam; orig. to put a balk or beam
in one's way, in order to stop or hinder. Cf., for sense 2,
AS. on balcan legan to lay in heaps.]
- To leave or make balks in. [Obs.] --Gower.
- To leave heaped up; to heap up in piles. [Obs.] Ten thousand bold Scots, two and twenty knights, Balk'd in their own blood did Sir Walter see. --Shak.
- To omit, miss, or overlook by chance. [Obs.]
- To miss intentionally; to avoid; to shun; to refuse; to let go by; to shirk. [Obs. or Obsolescent] By reason of the contagion then in London, we balked the ?nns. --Evelyn. Sick he is, and keeps his bed, and balks his meat. --Bp. Hall. Nor doth he any creature balk, But lays on all he meeteth. --Drayton.
- To disappoint; to frustrate; to foil; to baffle; to ?hwart; as, to balk expectation. They shall not balk my entrance. --Byron.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Balking'
In baseball, a pitcher may commit a number of illegal motions or actions which constitute a balk. In games played under Official Baseball Rules, a balk results in a delayed dead ball, and the balk is ignored under specified circumstances. Under other rule sets, notably the National Federation of High Schools (Fed) Baseball Rules in the United States, a balk results in an immediate dead ball. In the event a balk is enforced, the pitch is nullified and each runner is awarded one base while the batter remains at bat with the previous count. The balk rule in Major League Baseball was introduced in 1898.
The first mention of a balk, but with no definition provided, appeared in Alexander Cartwright’s 1845 Knickerbocker Rules. At an 1857 baseball rules convention, a balk was defined as occurring when a pitcher stepped over a line 45 feet away from home plate while delivering a pitch. All baserunners advanced a base.[See more about Balking at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Balking'
Balking Sample Sentences in News
- Here's Who Should Book Thanksgiving Flights In September
If you're balking at Halloween candy at the... Read more on this news related to 'Balking'
- Analysis: PA 'balking' at war crimes probe
Human rights activists say the Palestinian Authority is using threat of war crimes investigation as a 'bargaining chip'. Read more on this news related to 'Balking'
- Canada balks at NATO push to increase defence spending
Canada is balking at a push for NATO countries to commit to boosting military spending to 2 per cent of Gross Domestic Product because Ottawa feels the pledge is too vaguely defined and goes beyond what Canadian taxpayers would support Read more on this news related to 'Balking'