Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Balked'
- Balk \Balk\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Balked (?); p. pr. & vb. n.
Balking.] [From Balk a beam; orig. to put a balk or beam
in one's way, in order to stop or hinder. Cf., for sense 2,
AS. on balcan legan to lay in heaps.]
- To leave or make balks in. [Obs.] --Gower.
- To leave heaped up; to heap up in piles. [Obs.] Ten thousand bold Scots, two and twenty knights, Balk'd in their own blood did Sir Walter see. --Shak.
- To omit, miss, or overlook by chance. [Obs.]
- To miss intentionally; to avoid; to shun; to refuse; to let go by; to shirk. [Obs. or Obsolescent] By reason of the contagion then in London, we balked the ?nns. --Evelyn. Sick he is, and keeps his bed, and balks his meat. --Bp. Hall. Nor doth he any creature balk, But lays on all he meeteth. --Drayton.
- To disappoint; to frustrate; to foil; to baffle; to ?hwart; as, to balk expectation. They shall not balk my entrance. --Byron.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Balked'
In baseball, a pitcher may commit a number of illegal motions or actions which constitute a balk. In games played under Official Baseball Rules, a balk results in a delayed dead ball, and the balk is ignored under specified circumstances. Under other rule sets, notably the National Federation of High Schools (Fed) Baseball Rules in the United States, a balk results in an immediate dead ball. In the event a balk is enforced, the pitch is nullified and each runner is awarded one base while the batter remains at bat with the previous count. The balk rule in Major League Baseball was introduced in 1898.
The first mention of a balk, but with no definition provided, appeared in Alexander Cartwright’s 1845 Knickerbocker Rules. At an 1857 baseball rules convention, a balk was defined as occurring when a pitcher stepped over a line 45 feet away from home plate while delivering a pitch. All baserunners advanced a base.[See more about Balked at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Balked'
Balked Sample Sentences in News
- Key Republicans balk at White House border funds request
By Diane Bartz WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Leading Republican lawmakers balked on Sunday at supporting a White House spending request aimed at bolstering the U.S. border with Mexico, where thousands of children have crossed recently, while calling for changes in the law to allow faster deportations. The White House has asked for $3.7 billion in emergency funds to help Read more on this news related to 'Balked'
- Boston city council talks college athlete rights
Local universities expressed concern Tuesday that a proposed College Athletes Bill of Rights would cost them scholarships and commit them to lifelong health insurance for players who are injured during games. Testifying at a Boston City Council committee hearing, representatives from the area's Division I schools balked at provisions that they said would put t Read more on this news related to 'Balked'
- AbbVie hikes bid for drugmaker Shire
AbbVie upped its offer for Shire to 51.15 pounds per share after the U.K. company balked at an earlier offer. Read more on this news related to 'Balked'