Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Balked'
- Balk \Balk\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Balked (?); p. pr. & vb. n.
Balking.] [From Balk a beam; orig. to put a balk or beam
in one's way, in order to stop or hinder. Cf., for sense 2,
AS. on balcan legan to lay in heaps.]
- To leave or make balks in. [Obs.] --Gower.
- To leave heaped up; to heap up in piles. [Obs.] Ten thousand bold Scots, two and twenty knights, Balk'd in their own blood did Sir Walter see. --Shak.
- To omit, miss, or overlook by chance. [Obs.]
- To miss intentionally; to avoid; to shun; to refuse; to let go by; to shirk. [Obs. or Obsolescent] By reason of the contagion then in London, we balked the ?nns. --Evelyn. Sick he is, and keeps his bed, and balks his meat. --Bp. Hall. Nor doth he any creature balk, But lays on all he meeteth. --Drayton.
- To disappoint; to frustrate; to foil; to baffle; to ?hwart; as, to balk expectation. They shall not balk my entrance. --Byron.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Balked'
In baseball, a pitcher may commit a number of illegal motions or actions which constitute a balk. In games played under Official Baseball Rules, a balk results in a delayed dead ball, and the balk is ignored under specified circumstances. Under other rule sets, notably the National Federation of High Schools (Fed) Baseball Rules in the United States, a balk results in an immediate dead ball. In the event a balk is enforced, the pitch is nullified and each runner is awarded one base while the batter remains at bat with the previous count. The balk rule in Major League Baseball was introduced in 1898.
The first mention of a balk, but with no definition provided, appeared in Alexander Cartwright’s 1845 Knickerbocker Rules. At an 1857 baseball rules convention, a balk was defined as occurring when a pitcher stepped over a line 45 feet away from home plate while delivering a pitch. All baserunners advanced a base.[See more about Balked at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Balked'
Balked Sample Sentences in News
- 'Had the SIT not balked, Modi would have been facing a trial'
'I don't think there is a need to order a fresh investigation into the complaint against Modi & Co. As the amicus curiae Raju Ramachandran said in his report to the Supreme Court, the existing material is more than sufficient to prosecute Modi and other high-ups of his regime,' Manoj Mitta, author of the book The Fiction Of Fact-Finding: Modi and G Read more on this news related to 'Balked'
- Philadelphia newspaper guild won't bid for company
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — Workers at Philadelphia's two largest newspapers won't be able to mount a bid for their troubled company, after a wealthy potential backer balked at the projected $77 million opening price. Read more on this news related to 'Balked'
- Kansas Slay Suspect Jeffrey Chapman Wanted to Erase 'Murder' Ink
A Kansas slaying suspect wanted to save his neck by getting the tattoo he splashed across it — the word "murder" spelled backward — inked over in jail.But county officials balked at Jeffrey Chapman's request for a personal needling session in lockup. Read more on this news related to 'Balked'