Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Baking'
adj : as hot as if in an oven [syn: baking hot]
- making bread or cake or pastry etc.
- cooking by dry heat in an oven
- Bake \Bake\ (b[=a]k), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Baked (b[=a]kt); p.
pr. & vb. n. Baking.] [AS. bacan; akin to D. bakken, OHG.
bacchan, G. backen, Icel. & Sw. baca, Dan. bage, Gr. ? to
- To prepare, as food, by cooking in a dry heat, either in an oven or under coals, or on heated stone or metal; as, to bake bread, meat, apples. Note: Baking is the term usually applied to that method of cooking which exhausts the moisture in food more than roasting or broiling; but the distinction of meaning between roasting and baking is not always observed.
- To dry or harden (anything) by subjecting to heat, as, to bake bricks; the sun bakes the ground.
- To harden by cold. The earth . . . is baked with frost. --Shak. They bake their sides upon the cold, hard stone. --Spenser.
- Baking \Bak"ing\, n.
- The act or process of cooking in an oven, or of drying and hardening by heat or cold.
- The quantity baked at once; a batch; as, a baking of bread. Baking powder, a substitute for yeast, usually consisting of an acid, a carbonate, and a little farinaceous matter.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Baking'
Baking is the technique of prolonged cooking of food by dry heat acting by convection, and not by radiation, normally in an oven, but also in hot ashes, or on hot stones. It is primarily used for the preparation of bread, cakes, pastries and pies, tarts, quiches, cookies and crackers. Such items are sometimes referred to as "baked goods," and are sold at a bakery. A person who prepares baked goods as a profession is called a baker. It is also used for the preparation of baked potatoes, baked apples, baked beans, some casseroles and pasta dishes such as lasagna, and various other foods, such as the pretzel.
Many commercial ovens are provided with two heating elements: one for baking, using convection and conduction to heat the food, and one for broiling or grilling, heating mainly by radiation. Meat may also be baked, but this is usually reserved for meatloaf, smaller cuts of whole meats, and whole meats that contain stuffing or coating such as breadcrumbs or buttermilk batter; larger cuts prepared without stuffing or coating are more often roasted, a similar process, using higher temperatures and shorter cooking times. Baking can sometimes be combined with grilling to produce a hybrid barbecue variant, by using both methods simultaneously or one before the other, cooking twice. Baking is connected to barbecuing because the concept of the masonry oven is similar to that of a smoke pit.[See more about Baking at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Baking'
Baking Sample Sentences in News
- Cinnabon Launches Baking Kit Available in Select Walmart Stores
Cinnabon® lovers rejoice – you can now create Cinnabon World Famous Cinnamon Rolls® in your own kitchen. With the introduction of the Cinnabon Baking Kit, available exclusively at Read more on this news related to 'Baking'
- Great British Bake Off: baking courses in Britain and beyond
Where to improve your baking skills, including a course with a former Great British Bake Off winner Read more on this news related to 'Baking'
- OPENING ALERT: Twofish Baking Company, A Sea Ranch Import in SOMA
Twofish Baking Company 240 Ritch St. (between Bryant and Brannan) Phone: (415) 970-6965. Web: twofishbaking.com Status: Opening today Twofish Baking Company, which has garnered a dedicated following for its Sea Ranch bakeshop, debuted its San Francisco outpost bright and early... Read more on this news related to 'Baking'