Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Baking'
adj : as hot as if in an oven [syn: baking hot]
- making bread or cake or pastry etc.
- cooking by dry heat in an oven
- Bake \Bake\ (b[=a]k), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Baked (b[=a]kt); p.
pr. & vb. n. Baking.] [AS. bacan; akin to D. bakken, OHG.
bacchan, G. backen, Icel. & Sw. baca, Dan. bage, Gr. ? to
- To prepare, as food, by cooking in a dry heat, either in an oven or under coals, or on heated stone or metal; as, to bake bread, meat, apples. Note: Baking is the term usually applied to that method of cooking which exhausts the moisture in food more than roasting or broiling; but the distinction of meaning between roasting and baking is not always observed.
- To dry or harden (anything) by subjecting to heat, as, to bake bricks; the sun bakes the ground.
- To harden by cold. The earth . . . is baked with frost. --Shak. They bake their sides upon the cold, hard stone. --Spenser.
- Baking \Bak"ing\, n.
- The act or process of cooking in an oven, or of drying and hardening by heat or cold.
- The quantity baked at once; a batch; as, a baking of bread. Baking powder, a substitute for yeast, usually consisting of an acid, a carbonate, and a little farinaceous matter.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Baking'
Baking is the technique of prolonged cooking of food by dry heat acting by convection, and not by radiation, normally in an oven, but also in hot ashes, or on hot stones. It is primarily used for the preparation of bread, cakes, pastries and pies, tarts, quiches, cookies and crackers. Such items are sometimes referred to as "baked goods," and are sold at a bakery. A person who prepares baked goods as a profession is called a baker. It is also used for the preparation of baked potatoes, baked apples, baked beans, some casseroles and pasta dishes such as lasagna, and various other foods, such as the pretzel.
Many commercial ovens are provided with two heating elements: one for baking, using convection and conduction to heat the food, and one for broiling or grilling, heating mainly by radiation. Meat may also be baked, but this is usually reserved for meatloaf, smaller cuts of whole meats, and whole meats that contain stuffing or coating such as breadcrumbs or buttermilk batter; larger cuts prepared without stuffing or coating are more often roasted, a similar process, using higher temperatures and shorter cooking times. Baking can sometimes be combined with grilling to produce a hybrid barbecue variant, by using both methods simultaneously or one before the other, cooking twice. Baking is connected to barbecuing because the concept of the masonry oven is similar to that of a smoke pit.[See more about Baking at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Baking'
Baking Sample Sentences in News
- The Gooey Chocolate Cookie Recipe That's Worth $5,000
Sally's Baking Addiction blogger Sally McKenney admits to making mistakes in the kitchen but says experimenting pays off. She shares the chocolate-and-caramel concoction that won her fans — and cash. Read more on this news related to 'Baking'
- How to Make Your Own Personal Care Products
Get a plastic bag and combine one-half cup of corn starch, one-quarter cup of baking powder, one-quarter cup of baking soda and a few drops of your favorite essential oil such as tea tree or sage. Mix one-quarter cup of baking soda and one-quarter cup of corn starch (or arrowroot powder). If you like a hint of aroma, add in your favorite essential oil. For light h Read more on this news related to 'Baking'
- Brumby’s ride into healthy food era with new Evolution store
BRUMBY'S Bakery is starting a new era of baking and is looking to recruit franchisees to open new-look Brumby's Evolution stores across the country. Read more on this news related to 'Baking'