Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Award'
- a grant made by a law court; "he criticized the awarding of compensation by the court" [syn: awarding]
- a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction; "an award for bravery" [syn: accolade, honor, honour, laurels]
- something given for victory or superiority in a contest or competition or for winning a lottery; "the prize was a free trip to Europe" [syn: prize] v
- give, especially as a reward; "bestow honors and prizes at graduation" [syn: present]
- give on the basis of merit; "Funds are granted to qualified researchers" [syn: grant]
- bestow an honor upon
- Award \A*ward"\, v. i.
To determine; to make an award.
- Award \A*ward"\, n. [Cf. OF. award, awart, esgart. See Award,
- A judgment, sentence, or final decision. Specifically: The decision of arbitrators in a case submitted.``Impatient for the award.'' --Cowper. An award had been given against. --Gilpin.
- The paper containing the decision of arbitrators; that which is warded. --Bouvier.
- Award \A*ward"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Awarded; p. pr. & vb. n.
Awarding.] [OF. eswarder to look at, consider, decide,
judge; es (L. ex) + warder, garder, to observe, take heed,
keep, fr. OHG. wart[=e]n to watch, guard. See Ward.]
To give by sentence or judicial determination; to assign or
apportion, after careful regard to the nature of the case; to
adjudge; as, the arbitrators awarded damages to the
To review The wrongful sentence, and award a new.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Award'
An award is something given to a person or a group of people to recognize excellence in a certain field; a certificate of excellence. Awards are often signified by trophies, titles, certificates, commemorative plaques, medals, badges, pins, or ribbons. An award may carry a monetary prize given to the recipient, for example, the Nobel Prize for contributions to society or the Pulitzer Prize for literary achievements. An award may also simply be a public acknowledgment of excellence, without any tangible token or prize.
Awards can be given by any person or institution, although the prestige of an award usually depends on the status of the awarder. Usually, awards are given by an organization of some sort, or by the office of an official within an organization or government. For instance, a special presidential citation (as given by the President of the United States) is a public announcement giving an official place of honor (e.g., President Ronald Reagan gave a special presidential citation in 1984 to the Disney Channel for its excellent children's television programming.)[See more about Award at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Award'
'Award' in famous quotation sentence
* The salary of the chief executive of the large corporations is not an award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm gesture by the individual to himself. - John Kenneth Galbraith
* I don't fly any awards at the house. Any award you get is usually for something you've done in the past. And I like to keep looking forward. - Garth Brooks
Click here for more related quotations on 'Award'
Award Sample Sentences in News
- Turkey's Erdogan 'glad' to return Jewish award: embassy
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan will be "glad" to return an award given to him in 2004 by an American Jewish group, Turkey's embassy in the US said Tuesday, amid a growing controversy over the premier's anti-Israel remarks. The American Jewish Congress had given Erdogan the Profile of Courage award in recognition of his efforts to see Read more on this news related to 'Award'
- Ninety-Six Drury Hotels Receive Excellence Award From TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor has awarded 96 Drury Hotels with the 2014 TripAdvisor® Certificate of Excellence award. The award honors hospitality excellence and is given to establishments consistently receiving outstanding ... Read more on this news related to 'Award'
- Crawford & Company wins Anti-Fraud Award in Spain
Crawford & Company wins Anti-Fraud Award in Spain Crawford rewarded for thwarting bogus €600,000 claim MADRID (July 29, 2014) - Crawford & Company is pleased to announce its success at this year`s Spanish ... Read more on this news related to 'Award'