Automobile Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- 4-wheeled motor vehicle; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine; "he needs a car to get to work"
- travel in an automobile
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a motor vehicle with four wheels; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine; "he needs a car to get to work"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Automobile'?
Automobile Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A car (also called an automobile) is a vehicle used to transport passengers. Cars usually have four wheels and an internal combustion engine. Another name is automobile from Greek "auto" and French "mobile". This name means "self-moving", as cars do not need horses or other external sources of power to move.
Some small "city" cars carry only two to four people, and have very little luggage space. Other types are able to carry many passengers or heavy loads. For example, family station wagons or estate cars carry from 5 to 9 people, or fewer people with lots of luggage. A van or pickup truck is a car-like vehicle made for carrying medium sized loads; for example, goods for delivery or plumber's and builder's tools and materials. Heavy lorries are used to carry deliveries and heavy loads.
Words and phrases related to 'Automobile'
'Automobile' example sentence in quotations
* The shortage of student loans may require ... divestiture of certain sorts-stereo divestiture, automobile divestiture, three-weeks-at-the-beach divestiture. - William John Bennett
* A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense. - American Proverb
Click here for more related quotations on 'Automobile'
Automobile Sample Sentences in News
- What's Next for the Automobile?
Forget alternative fuels: the next big change for cars lies in information technology and automation, which will lead to new designs and are the best hope for the widespread adoption of all-electric... -- Read more on ScientificAmerican.com Read more on this news related to 'Automobile'
- 2015 Taiwan Automobile & Motorcycle Parts Exhibition Unveils With 3,800 Booths
As the only professional platform for two-wheel and four-wheel vehicles to be held in Asia, the 2015 Taipei Int'l Auto Parts and Accessories Show, Taipei Int'l Automobile Electronics Show, Taiwan Int'l ... Read more on this news related to 'Automobile'
- Research and Markets: Global Automobile Electronic Power Steering System Industry Report 2015
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Global Automobile Electronic Power Steering System Ind Read more on this news related to 'Automobile'