Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Authorize'
- grant authorization or clearance for; "Clear the manuscript for publication"; "The rock star never authorized this slanderous biography" [syn: authorise, pass, clear]
- give or delegate power or authority to; "She authorized her assistant to sign the papers" [syn: empower, authorise]
- Authorize \Au"thor*ize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Authorized; p.
pr. & vb. n. Authorizing.] [OE. autorize, F. autoriser, fr.
LL. auctorizare, authorisare. See Author.]
- To clothe with authority, warrant, or legal power; to give a right to act; to empower; as, to authorize commissioners to settle a boundary.
- To make legal; to give legal sanction to; to legalize; as, to authorize a marriage.
- To establish by authority, as by usage or public opinion; to sanction; as, idioms authorized by usage.
- To sanction or confirm by the authority of some one; to warrant; as, to authorize a report. A woman's story at a winter's fire, Authorized by her grandam. --Shak.
- To justify; to furnish a ground for. --Locke. To authorize one's self, to rely for authority. [Obs.] Authorizing himself, for the most part, upon other histories. --Sir P. Sidney.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Authorize'
Authorization (also spelt Authorisation) is the function of specifying access rights to resources, which is related to information security and computer security in general and to access control in particular. More formally, "to authorize" is to define access policy. For example, human resources staff are normally authorized to access employee records, and this policy is usually formalized as access control rules in a computer system. During operation, the system uses the access control rules to decide whether access requests from (authenticated) consumers shall be granted or rejected. Resources include individual files' or items' data, computer programs, computer devices and functionality provided by computer applications. Examples of consumers are computer users, computer programs and other devices on the computer.[See more about Authorize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Authorize'
'Authorize' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Authorize'
Authorize Sample Sentences in News
- Authorize.net: Review Examines Leading International Payment Gateway Solution
Shane Michaels releases a review of Authorize.net, a global payment gateway for small- to medium-sized businesses. (PRWeb March 07, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/authorize-net-review/03/prweb11648259.htm Read more on this news related to 'Authorize'
- PSU Faculty Considers Whether To Authorize Strike
Faculty members are deciding this week whether to authorize a strike at Portland State University. Read more on this news related to 'Authorize'
- Jimi Hendrix estate finally ready to authorize biopic on late, great guitarist: Popcorn Breakfast (video)
For those who like a little movie talk with their morning cafe au lait Read more on this news related to 'Authorize'