Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Authorize'
- grant authorization or clearance for; "Clear the manuscript for publication"; "The rock star never authorized this slanderous biography" [syn: authorise, pass, clear]
- give or delegate power or authority to; "She authorized her assistant to sign the papers" [syn: empower, authorise]
- Authorize \Au"thor*ize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Authorized; p.
pr. & vb. n. Authorizing.] [OE. autorize, F. autoriser, fr.
LL. auctorizare, authorisare. See Author.]
- To clothe with authority, warrant, or legal power; to give a right to act; to empower; as, to authorize commissioners to settle a boundary.
- To make legal; to give legal sanction to; to legalize; as, to authorize a marriage.
- To establish by authority, as by usage or public opinion; to sanction; as, idioms authorized by usage.
- To sanction or confirm by the authority of some one; to warrant; as, to authorize a report. A woman's story at a winter's fire, Authorized by her grandam. --Shak.
- To justify; to furnish a ground for. --Locke. To authorize one's self, to rely for authority. [Obs.] Authorizing himself, for the most part, upon other histories. --Sir P. Sidney.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Authorize'
Authorization (also spelt Authorisation) is the function of specifying access rights to resources, which is related to information security and computer security in general and to access control in particular. More formally, "to authorize" is to define access policy. For example, human resources staff are normally authorized to access employee records, and this policy is usually formalized as access control rules in a computer system. During operation, the system uses the access control rules to decide whether access requests from (authenticated) consumers shall be granted or rejected. Resources include individual files' or items' data, computer programs, computer devices and functionality provided by computer applications. Examples of consumers are computer users, computer programs and other devices on the computer.[See more about Authorize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Authorize'
'Authorize' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Authorize'
Authorize Sample Sentences in News
- University of Illinois Hospital nurses vote to authorize strike
University of Illinois Hospital nurses voted by a wide margin to authorize a strike if their union and the West Side hospital system are unable to come to terms on a new contract by late September. Read more on this news related to 'Authorize'
- Officials to authorize construction on electric transmission line in Beaver County
Officials will hold a signing ceremony next week to authorize construction for a new energy transmission line in Beaver County. Read more on this news related to 'Authorize'
- WH insists Obama has yet to decide on whether to authorize strikes
President Barack Obama has yet to decide whether to authorize air strikes against ISIS targets in Syria, the White House insists. More and more, though, the signals and nuance from the administration and the military suggest such a campaign could be coming. Read more on this news related to 'Authorize'