Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Authorize'
- grant authorization or clearance for; "Clear the manuscript for publication"; "The rock star never authorized this slanderous biography" [syn: authorise, pass, clear]
- give or delegate power or authority to; "She authorized her assistant to sign the papers" [syn: empower, authorise]
- Authorize \Au"thor*ize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Authorized; p.
pr. & vb. n. Authorizing.] [OE. autorize, F. autoriser, fr.
LL. auctorizare, authorisare. See Author.]
- To clothe with authority, warrant, or legal power; to give a right to act; to empower; as, to authorize commissioners to settle a boundary.
- To make legal; to give legal sanction to; to legalize; as, to authorize a marriage.
- To establish by authority, as by usage or public opinion; to sanction; as, idioms authorized by usage.
- To sanction or confirm by the authority of some one; to warrant; as, to authorize a report. A woman's story at a winter's fire, Authorized by her grandam. --Shak.
- To justify; to furnish a ground for. --Locke. To authorize one's self, to rely for authority. [Obs.] Authorizing himself, for the most part, upon other histories. --Sir P. Sidney.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Authorize'
Authorization (also spelt Authorisation) is the function of specifying access rights to resources, which is related to information security and computer security in general and to access control in particular. More formally, "to authorize" is to define access policy. For example, human resources staff are normally authorized to access employee records, and this policy is usually formalized as access control rules in a computer system. During operation, the system uses the access control rules to decide whether access requests from (authenticated) consumers shall be granted or rejected. Resources include individual files' or items' data, computer programs, computer devices and functionality provided by computer applications. Examples of consumers are computer users, computer programs and other devices on the computer.[See more about Authorize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Authorize'
'Authorize' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Authorize'
Authorize Sample Sentences in News
- UN set to authorize cross-border aid to Syrians
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.N. Security Council is set to vote on a resolution that would authorize cross-border delivery of humanitarian aid to Syrians in rebel-held areas in desperate need of food and medicine, without government approval. Read more on this news related to 'Authorize'
- UN expected to vote Monday to authorize cross-border delivery of aid to Syrians in need
Sponsors of a U.N. Read more on this news related to 'Authorize'
- U.S. House panel votes to authorize lawsuit against Obama
By Annika McGinnis WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday took another step toward authorizing a lawsuit against President Barack Obama, claiming he has overstepped his executive powers in carrying out his landmark healthcare reform law. In a partisan vote of 7-4, the House Rules Committee approved the legislation, like Read more on this news related to 'Authorize'