Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Atrophy'
- a decrease in size of an organ caused by disease or disuse [syn: wasting, wasting away]
- any weakening or degeneration (especially through lack of use) [syn: withering] v : undergo atrophy; "Muscles that are not used will atrophy" [also: atrophied]
- Atrophy \At"ro*phy\, n. [L. atrophia, Gr. ?; 'a priv. + ? to
nourish: cf. F. atrophie.]
A wasting away from want of nourishment; diminution in bulk
or slow emaciation of the body or of any part. --Milton.
- Atrophy \At"ro*phy\, v. t. [p. p. Atrophied.]
To cause to waste away or become abortive; to starve or
- Atrophy \At"ro*phy\, v. i.
To waste away; to dwindle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Atrophy'
Atrophy is the partial or complete wasting away of a part of the body. Causes of atrophy include mutations (which can destroy the gene to build up the organ), poor nourishment, poor circulation, loss of hormonal support, loss of nerve supply to the target organ, disuse or lack of exercise or disease intrinsic to the tissue itself. Hormonal and nerve inputs that maintain an organ or body part are referred to as trophic in medical practice. Trophic describes the trophic condition of tissue. A diminished muscular trophic is designated as atrophy.
Atrophy is the general physiological process of reabsorption and breakdown of tissues, involving apoptosis on a cellular level. When it occurs as a result of disease or loss of trophic support due to other disease, it is termed pathological atrophy, although it can be a part of normal body development and homeostasis as well.[See more about Atrophy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Atrophy'
'Atrophy' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Atrophy'
Atrophy Sample Sentences in News
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) Global Clinical Trials Review, H2, 2014
NEW YORK, Aug. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue: Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) Global Clinical Trials Review, H2, 2014 ... Read more on this news related to 'Atrophy'
- The Multiple System Atrophy Coalition Appoints Five New Members to Board of Directors
The MSA Coalition is poised to continue its strong growth as a national nonprofit focused on education, support, advocacy, and research grant funding as it pursues its primary mission of finding a cure for Multiple System Atrophy. (PRWeb July 29, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/07/prweb12031882.htm Read more on this news related to 'Atrophy'
- Dr. Larry Kellerman, PhD Appointed to Multiple System Atrophy Coalition Board of Directors
In his new role, Dr. Kellerman will be representing the needs of current caregivers as well as focusing on educating healthcare professionals unfamiliar with this rare neurological disorder. (PRWeb July 31, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/07/prweb11984048.htm Read more on this news related to 'Atrophy'