Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Asperity'
Asperity Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- something hard to endure; "the asperity of northern winters" [syn: grimness, hardship, rigor, rigour, severity, rigorousness]
- harshness of manner [syn: sharpness] [ant: dullness]
- Asperity \As*per"i*ty\, n.; pl. Asperities. [L. asperitas, fr.
asper rough: cf. F. asp['e]rit['e].]
- Roughness of surface; unevenness; -- opposed to smoothness. ``The asperities of dry bodies.'' --Boyle.
- Roughness or harshness of sound; that quality which grates upon the ear; raucity.
- Roughness to the taste; sourness; tartness.
- Moral roughness; roughness of manner; severity; crabbedness; harshness; -- opposed to mildness. ``Asperity of character.'' --Landor. It is no very cynical asperity not to confess obligations where no benefit has been received. --Johnson.
- Sharpness; disagreeableness; difficulty. The acclivities and asperities of duty. --Barrow. Syn: Acrimony; moroseness; crabbedness; harshness; sourness; tartness. See Acrimony.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Asperity'
- Asperity: Asperity may refer to: Asperity Mountain , the mountain in British Columbia , Canada . Asperity (materials science), the unevenness of a ...
- Asperity (materials science): In materials science , asperity, defined as "unevenness of surface, roughness, ruggedness" (OED , from the Latin asper — "rough"), has ...
- Asperity Mountain: Asperity Mountain is a mountain located in British Columbia , Canada , rising to 3716 It is located between Tellot and Tiedemann Glaciers ...
Words and phrases related to 'Asperity'