Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ascription'
- assigning some quality or character to a person or thing; "the attribution of language to birds"; "the ascription to me of honors I had not earned" [syn: attribution]
- assigning to a cause or source; "the attribution of lighting to an expression of God's wrath"; "he questioned the attribution of the painting to Picasso" [syn: attribution]
- Ascription \As*crip"tion\, n. [L. ascriptio, fr. ascribere. See
The act of ascribing, imputing, or affirming to belong; also,
that which is ascribed.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ascription'
In traditional grammar, a predicate is one of the two main parts of a sentence, the other being the subject. The predicate is said to modify the subject. For the simple sentence "John is yellow" John acts as the subject, and is yellow acts as the predicate. The predicate is much like a verb phrase.
In many current theories of linguistic semantics (notably truth-conditional semantics), a predicate is an expression that can be true of something. Thus, the expressions "is yellow" or "is like broccoli" are true of those things that are yellow or like broccoli, respectively. This notion is closely related to the notion of a predicate in formal logic, which includes more expressions than the former one, such as nouns and some kinds of adjectives.
A predicate is one of the two main parts of a sentence (the other being the subject, which the predicate modifies). The predicate must contain a verb, and the verb requires, permits, or precludes other sentence elements to complete the predicate. These elements are: objects (direct, indirect, prepositional), predicatives, adverbs:[See more about Ascription at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Ascription'
Ascription Sample Sentences in News
- Kieren Fallon teams up with owner two years after he blocked Derby ride
• Ibraham Araci went to court to stop jockey switching mounts • Rider booked for Ascription in Betfred Challenge Cup at Ascot Kieren Fallon will team up with leading owner Ibrahim Araci at Ascot on Saturday for the first time since the two men were involved in a dramatic High Court action on the morning of the race which forced Fallon to watch the 2011 Derby f Read more on this news related to 'Ascription'