Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Artisan'
n : a skilled worker who practices some trade or handicraft
[syn: craftsman, journeyman, artificer]
- Artisan \Ar"ti*san\ (?; 277), n. [F. artisan, fr. L. artitus
skilled in arts, fr. ars, artis, art: cf. It. artigiano. See
- One who professes and practices some liberal art; an artist. [Obs.]
- One trained to manual dexterity in some mechanic art or trade; and handicraftsman; a mechanic. This is willingly submitted to by the artisan, who can . . . compensate his additional toil and fatigue. --Hume. Syn: Artificer; artist. Usage: Artisan, Artist, Artificer. An artist is one who is skilled in some one of the fine arts; an artisan is one who exercises any mechanical employment. A portrait painter is an artist; a sign painter is an artisan, although he may have the taste and skill of an artist. The occupation of the former requires a fine taste and delicate manipulation; that of the latter demands only an ordinary degree of contrivance and imitative power. An artificer is one who requires power of contrivance and adaptation in the exercise of his profession. The word suggest neither the idea of mechanical conformity to rule which attaches to the term artisan, nor the ideas of refinement and of peculiar skill which belong to the term artist.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Artisan'
An artisan (from Italian: artigiano) is a skilled manual worker who makes items that may be functional or strictly decorative, including furniture, clothing, jewellery, household items, and tools. The term can also be used as an adjective to refer to the craft of hand making food products, such as bread, beverages and cheese.
Manufacture by hand and with hand tools imparts unique and individual qualities to artisanal products, in contrast to mass produced goods where every one is nearly identical. Artisans traditionally work in media such as stone, wood, ceramics, glass, common and precious metals, basketry, textiles, esparto grass, leather, fur, wax, paper, and flowers.
Artisans were the dominant producers of goods before the Industrial Revolution. According to Classical economics theory, the division of labour occurs with internal market development (Adam Smith). However, according to economist John Hicks, merchants and artisans originated as servants to the rulers, which occurred much earlier. Artisans employ creative thinking and manual dexterity to produce their goods.[See more about Artisan at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Artisan'
Artisan Sample Sentences in News
- Is Artisan Partners (APAM) Stock a Solid Choice Right Now?
Artisan Partners is seeing solid earnings estimate revision activity, and is in great company from a Zacks Industry Rank perspective. Read more on this news related to 'Artisan'
- Artisan Partners Asset Management Inc. Reports 2Q14 Results
Artisan Partners Asset Management Inc. today reported its results for the three and six months ended June 30, 2014, including net Read more on this news related to 'Artisan'
- Artisan Ashley Longshore Talks Collaborating With Blake Lively
Collaborating on a capsule collection for Blake Lively's Preserve as the first featured artisan? Consider it a check on Ashley Longshore's list. The New Orleans-based artist (and... Read more on this news related to 'Artisan'