Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Artisan'
n : a skilled worker who practices some trade or handicraft
[syn: craftsman, journeyman, artificer]
- Artisan \Ar"ti*san\ (?; 277), n. [F. artisan, fr. L. artitus
skilled in arts, fr. ars, artis, art: cf. It. artigiano. See
- One who professes and practices some liberal art; an artist. [Obs.]
- One trained to manual dexterity in some mechanic art or trade; and handicraftsman; a mechanic. This is willingly submitted to by the artisan, who can . . . compensate his additional toil and fatigue. --Hume. Syn: Artificer; artist. Usage: Artisan, Artist, Artificer. An artist is one who is skilled in some one of the fine arts; an artisan is one who exercises any mechanical employment. A portrait painter is an artist; a sign painter is an artisan, although he may have the taste and skill of an artist. The occupation of the former requires a fine taste and delicate manipulation; that of the latter demands only an ordinary degree of contrivance and imitative power. An artificer is one who requires power of contrivance and adaptation in the exercise of his profession. The word suggest neither the idea of mechanical conformity to rule which attaches to the term artisan, nor the ideas of refinement and of peculiar skill which belong to the term artist.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Artisan'
An artisan (from Italian: artigiano) is a skilled manual worker who makes items that may be functional or strictly decorative, including furniture, clothing, jewellery, household items, and tools. The term can also be used as an adjective to refer to the craft of hand making food products, such as bread, beverages and cheese.
Manufacture by hand and with hand tools imparts unique and individual qualities to artisanal products, in contrast to mass produced goods where every one is nearly identical. Artisans traditionally work in media such as stone, wood, ceramics, glass, common and precious metals, basketry, textiles, esparto grass, leather, fur, wax, paper, and flowers.
Artisans were the dominant producers of goods before the Industrial Revolution. According to Classical economics theory, the division of labour occurs with internal market development (Adam Smith). However, according to economist John Hicks, merchants and artisans originated as servants to the rulers, which occurred much earlier. Artisans employ creative thinking and manual dexterity to produce their goods.[See more about Artisan at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Artisan'
Artisan Sample Sentences in News
- Artisan Partners Asset Management Inc. Prices Offering of Common Stock
Artisan Partners Asset Management Inc. announced today the pricing of a public offering of 8,073,337 shares of Class A common stock at a price to the public of $62.00 per share. Read more on this news related to 'Artisan'
- Artisan Mobile Announces Industry Analyst Whitepaper on Managing the Mobile Experience
At eTail West today, Artisan Mobile announced the release of a new Yankee Group whitepaper analyzing the tools and solutions available to marketers needing to better understand and improve customer engagement through mobile applications. Read more on this news related to 'Artisan'
- Artisan Partners Asset Management Inc. Announces Commencement of Public Offering of 7.0 Million Shares
Artisan Partners Asset Management Inc. announced today the commencement of an underwritten public offering of 7,000,000 shares of its Class A common stock. Read more on this news related to 'Artisan'