Artificial Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- artificially formal; "that artificial humility that her husband hated"; "contrived coyness"; "a stilted letter of acknowledgment"; "when people try to correct their speech they develop a stilted pronunciation"
- contrived by art rather than nature; "artificial flowers"; "artificial flavoring"; "an artificial diamond"; "artificial fibers"; "artificial sweeteners"
- not arising from natural growth or characterized by vital processes
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Artificial'?
Artificial Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
When something is artificial (or man-made), it has been made by humans, not nature. For example, an artificial satellite is one made by humans, while a natural satellite is a satellite that was not made by humans. Many artificial things imitate or copy things found in nature. The imitation may use the same basic materials as those in the natural object; or it may use quite different materials. These are concepts in defining reality.
The word "artificial" comes from the Latin words art (meaning "skill") and fex ("to make").
Artificial does not necessarily mean synthetic (that is, created by synthesis). An artificial sweetener imitates sweetness using a chemical formula that is not found in nature; it is therefore both artificial and synthetic.
Words and phrases related to 'Artificial'
'Artificial' example sentence in quotations
* We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons... - Alfred E. Newman
* A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. - Alan J. Perlis
Click here for more related quotations on 'Artificial'
Artificial Sample Sentences in News
- FIFA: Men's World Cup could be on artificial turf
The men's World Cup could be played ''sooner rather than later'' on artificial turf, FIFA said Wednesday in the latest defense of its decision not to stage the 2015 women's tournament in Canada on grass. ''It would be very difficult to ensure solid natural-grass pitches at all venues,'' Valcke said in an interview with FIFA& Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'
- Artificial hips business boosts Smith & Nephew profit
* Q3 trading profit rises 3 pct, in line with forecasts LONDON, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Artificial knee and hip maker Smith & Nephew posted an expected 3 percent rise in third-quarter trading profit, as solid growth in orthopaedic reconstruction offset a decline in its wound management business due to a product recall. "In U.S reconstruction, our better performanc Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'
- Tesla boss warns of artificial intelligence 'demon'
Tesla chief executive Elon Musk has described artificial intelligence as a "demon" and the "biggest existential threat there is", in his latest dramatic statement about technology.Addressing students at the Massachusetts Institute... Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'