Artificial Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- artificially formal; "that artificial humility that her husband hated"; "contrived coyness"; "a stilted letter of acknowledgment"; "when people try to correct their speech they develop a stilted pronunciation"
- contrived by art rather than nature; "artificial flowers"; "artificial flavoring"; "an artificial diamond"; "artificial fibers"; "artificial sweeteners"
- not arising from natural growth or characterized by vital processes
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Artificial'?
Artificial Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
When something is artificial (or man-made), it has been made by humans, not nature. For example, an artificial satellite is one made by humans, while a natural satellite is a satellite that was not made by humans. Many artificial things imitate or copy things found in nature. The imitation may use the same basic materials as those in the natural object; or it may use quite different materials. These are concepts in defining reality.
The word "artificial" comes from the Latin words art (meaning "skill") and fex ("to make").
Artificial does not necessarily mean synthetic (that is, created by synthesis). An artificial sweetener imitates sweetness using a chemical formula that is not found in nature; it is therefore both artificial and synthetic.
Words and phrases related to 'Artificial'
'Artificial' example sentence in quotations
* We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons... - Alfred E. Newman
* A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. - Alan J. Perlis
Click here for more related quotations on 'Artificial'
Artificial Sample Sentences in News
- Artificial reefs eyed to boost P’sinan town’s fish production
The municipal agriculture office here will install artificial reefs made of concrete and iron bars in the waters off Barangay Buenlag to encourage fish to stay and spawn. At least 85 artificial reefs will be placed into the sea for barnacles and other seaweeds to grow on. The seaweeds will serve as food for the fish, municipal agriculturist Butch Ferrer said. Asid Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'
- Global Artificial Lift System Market Expected to Grow CAGR of 10.5% During Forecast 2014-2020: Big Market Research
Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'
- Ogden officials against artificial turf as water conservation option
OGDEN, Utah – Ogden city residents and businesses concerned about water conservation are hoping the city will allow artificial grass as an option for landscaping. But city planners are against that idea. Pamela Clark from the Family Support Center of Ogden said she was given a citation for installing artificial turf in front of her […] Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'