Artificial Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- artificially formal; "that artificial humility that her husband hated"; "contrived coyness"; "a stilted letter of acknowledgment"; "when people try to correct their speech they develop a stilted pronunciation"
- contrived by art rather than nature; "artificial flowers"; "artificial flavoring"; "an artificial diamond"; "artificial fibers"; "artificial sweeteners"
- not arising from natural growth or characterized by vital processes
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Artificial'?
Artificial Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
When something is artificial (or man-made), it has been made by humans, not nature. For example, an artificial satellite is one made by humans, while a natural satellite is a satellite that was not made by humans. Many artificial things imitate or copy things found in nature. The imitation may use the same basic materials as those in the natural object; or it may use quite different materials. These are concepts in defining reality.
The word "artificial" comes from the Latin words art (meaning "skill") and fex ("to make").
Artificial does not necessarily mean synthetic (that is, created by synthesis). An artificial sweetener imitates sweetness using a chemical formula that is not found in nature; it is therefore both artificial and synthetic.
Words and phrases related to 'Artificial'
'Artificial' example sentence in quotations
* We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons... - Alfred E. Newman
* A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. - Alan J. Perlis
Click here for more related quotations on 'Artificial'
Artificial Sample Sentences in News
- Buyers Remorse Surfacing Over Artificial Turf Fields
Companies that make and install artificial turf fields market the long-term "cost savings" of using their plastic, cork and rubber product compared with natural grass. The artificial stuff requires less maintenance and can be used more than grass, or so the theory goes. But all across the U.S. towns and schools [...] Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'
- Google bolsters artificial intelligence efforts, partners with Oxford
Google Inc is expanding its artificial intelligence initiative, hiring more than half a dozen leading academics and experts in the field and announcing a partnership with Oxford University to "accelerate" its efforts. Google will make a "substantial contribution" to establish a research partnership with Oxford's computer science and enginee Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'
- Global Artificial Sweeteners Market
LONDON, Oct. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Artificial Sweeteners in US$ Thousands by the following Major Product Classes: Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium, Saccharin, ... Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'