Artificial Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- artificially formal; "that artificial humility that her husband hated"; "contrived coyness"; "a stilted letter of acknowledgment"; "when people try to correct their speech they develop a stilted pronunciation"
- contrived by art rather than nature; "artificial flowers"; "artificial flavoring"; "an artificial diamond"; "artificial fibers"; "artificial sweeteners"
- not arising from natural growth or characterized by vital processes
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Artificial'?
Artificial Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
When something is artificial (or man-made), it has been made by humans, not nature. For example, an artificial satellite is one made by humans, while a natural satellite is a satellite that was not made by humans. Many artificial things imitate or copy things found in nature. The imitation may use the same basic materials as those in the natural object; or it may use quite different materials. These are concepts in defining reality.
The word "artificial" comes from the Latin words art (meaning "skill") and fex ("to make").
Artificial does not necessarily mean synthetic (that is, created by synthesis). An artificial sweetener imitates sweetness using a chemical formula that is not found in nature; it is therefore both artificial and synthetic.
Words and phrases related to 'Artificial'
'Artificial' example sentence in quotations
* We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons... - Alfred E. Newman
* A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God. - Alan J. Perlis
Click here for more related quotations on 'Artificial'
Artificial Sample Sentences in News
- Bianchi out of artificial coma, say family
(Reuters) - Critically injured French Formula One driver Jules Bianchi is no longer in an artificial coma but remains unconscious, his family said in a statement on Wednesday. Bianchi, who suffered the most serious F1 race injury since Ayrton Senna died in 1994 when he crashed into a recovery tractor in the wet at the Japanese Grand Prix on Oct. 5, has been transf Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'
- Failure Rate Of Artificial Turf Fields Unknown By Public
Makers of artificial turf fields tout the durability of their plastic, rubber and cork product when making the case that artificial turf fields are superior to natural grass. But before artificial turf can be marketed as more durable than natural grass an honest assesment must be made of the "premature failure" rate of artificial turf fields. Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'
- Motor racing-Bianchi out of artificial coma, say family
Nov 19 (Reuters) - Critically injured French Formula One driver Jules Bianchi is no longer in an artificial coma but remains unconscious, his family said in a statement on Wednesday. Bianchi, who suffered the most serious F1 race injury since Ayrton Senna died in 1994 when he crashed into a recovery tractor in the wet at the Japanese Grand Prix on Oct. 5, has been Read more on this news related to 'Artificial'