Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Articulation'
Articulation Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the aspect of pronunciation that involves bringing articulatory organs together so as to shape the sounds of speech
- the shape or manner in which things come together and a connection is made [syn: join, joint, juncture, junction]
- expressing in coherent verbal form; "the articulation of my feelings"; "I gave voice to my feelings" [syn: voice]
- (anatomy) the point of connection between two bones or elements of a skeleton (especially if the articulation allows motion) [syn: joint, articulatio]
- the act of joining things in such a way that motion is possible
- Articulation \Ar*tic`u*la"tion\, n. [Cf. F. articulation, fr. L.
- (Anat.) A joint or juncture between bones in the skeleton. Note: Articulations may be immovable, when the bones are directly united (synarthrosis), or slightly movable, when they are united intervening substance (amphiarthrosis), or they may be more or less freely movable, when the articular surfaces are covered with synovial membranes, as in complete joints (diarthrosis). The last (diarthrosis) includes hinge joints, admitting motion in one plane only (ginglymus), ball and socket joints (enarthrosis), pivot and rotation joints, etc.
- (Bot.) (a) The connection of the parts of a plant by joints, as in pods. (b) One of the nodes or joints, as in cane and maize. (c) One of the parts intercepted between the joints; also, a subdivision into parts at regular or irregular intervals as a result of serial intermission in growth, as in the cane, grasses, etc. --Lindley.
- The act of putting together with a joint or joints; any meeting of parts in a joint.
- The state of being jointed; connection of parts. [R.] That definiteness and articulation of imagery. --Coleridge.
- The utterance of the elementary sounds of a language by the appropriate movements of the organs, as in pronunciation; as, a distinct articulation.
- A sound made by the vocal organs; an articulate utterance or an elementary sound, esp. a consonant.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Articulation'
- Articulation: Articulation may refer to: In linguistics: Topic-focus articulation , a field of study concerned with marking old and new information in a ...
- Manner of articulation: In linguistics (articulatory phonetics ), manner of articulation describes how the tongue, lips, jaw, and other speech organs are involved ...
- Place of articulation: In articulatory phonetics , the place of articulation (also point of articulation) of a consonant is the point of contact where an ...
- Articulation (music): In music , articulation refers to the direction or performance technique which affects the transition or continuity on single note or ...
- Articulation (education): In Australia and the United States education , articulation or more specifically course articulation, refers to the process of comparing ...
- Articulation (architecture): Articulation, in art and architecture, is a method of styling the joints in the formal Category:Architectural elements | elements of ...
- Articulation (sociology): In sociology , articulation labels the process by which particular class es appropriate cultural forms and practices for their own use. ...
Words and phrases related to 'Articulation'
Articulation Sample Sentences in News
- Wichita Area Technical College and Grantham University Enter Into Articulation
Wichita is sometimes considered the "Air Capital of the World," which is why it makes sense that Wichita Area Technical College houses the number one ranked aviation program in the nation. But ... Read more on this news related to 'Articulation'
- SFUAD and KD College Announce Articulation Agreement for Acting, Musical Theatre and Film Students
Qualified KD College Conservatory of Film and Dramatic Arts students seeking a bachelor’s degree will now have a seamless transition to SFUAD. (PRWeb August 18, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/musical/theatre/prweb12102912.htm Read more on this news related to 'Articulation'
- GRCC, Davenport sign articulation agreement for health courses
An articulation agreement aims to smooth the transfer process for Grand Rapids Community College medical assistant students who are looking to transfer to Davenport University for a health-related program. Read more on this news related to 'Articulation'