Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Art'
- the products of human creativity; works of art collectively; "an art exhibition"; "a fine collection of art" [syn: fine art}]
- the creation of beautiful or significant things; "art does not need to be innovative to be good"; "I was never any good at art"; "he said that architecture is the art of wasting space beautifully" [syn: artistic creation, artistic production}]
- a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation; "the art of conversation"; "it's quite an art" [syn: artistry, prowess]
- photographs or other visual representations in a printed publication; "the publisher was responsible for all the artwork in the book" [syn: artwork, graphics, nontextual matter}]
- Art \Art\ ([aum]rt).
The second person singular, indicative mode, present tense,
of the substantive verb Be; but formed after the analogy of
the plural are, with the ending -t, as in thou shalt, wilt,
orig. an ending of the second person sing. pret. Cf. Be.
Now used only in solemn or poetical style.
- Art \Art\ ([aum]rt), n. [F. art, L. ars, artis, orig., skill in
joining or fitting; prob. akin to E. arm, aristocrat,
- The employment of means to accomplish some desired end; the adaptation of things in the natural world to the uses of life; the application of knowledge or power to practical purposes. Blest with each grace of nature and of art. --Pope.
- A system of rules serving to facilitate the performance of certain actions; a system of principles and rules for attaining a desired end; method of doing well some special work; -- often contradistinguished from science or speculative principles; as, the art of building or engraving; the art of war; the art of navigation. Science is systematized knowledge . . . Art is knowledge made efficient by skill. --J. F. Genung.
- The systematic application of knowledge or skill in effecting a desired result. Also, an occupation or business requiring such knowledge or skill. The fishermen can't employ their art with so much success in so troubled a sea. --Addison.
- The application of skill to the production of the beautiful by imitation or design, or an occupation in
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Art'
Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging symbolic elements in a way that influences and affects the senses, emotions, and/or intellect. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, photography, sculpture, and paintings. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics.
Traditionally, the term art was used to refer to any skill or mastery. This conception changed during the Romantic period, when art came to be seen as "a special faculty of the human mind to be classified with religion and science". Generally, art is made with the intention of stimulating thoughts and emotions.
Philosopher Richard Wollheim distinguishes three approaches to assessing the aesthetic value of art: the Realist, whereby aesthetic quality is an absolute value independent of any human view; the Objectivist, whereby it is also an absolute value, but is dependent on general human experience; and the Relativist position, whereby it is not an absolute value, but depends on, and varies with, the human experience of different humans. An object may be characterized by the intentions, or lack thereof, of its creator, regardless of its apparent purpose. A cup, which ostensibly can be used as a container, may be considered art if intended solely as an ornament, while a painting may be deemed craft if mass-produced.[See more about Art at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Art'
Meaning of the Name 'Art'
- Meaning: Strong as a bear
- Origin: Celtic
- Gender: Male
'Art' in famous quotation sentence
* Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it. - Dwight D Eisenhower
* A sense of humor is part of the art of leadership, of getting along with people, of getting things done. - Dwight D Eisenhower
Click here for more related quotations on 'Art'
Art Sample Sentences in News
- Art in Public Places beautifies state
... Read more on this news related to 'Art'
- MEDIA ADVISORY: The 62nd Sausalito Art Festival Labor Day Weekend
SAUSALITO, CA-- - TO: Art & Entertainment, Travel & Leisure, Lifestyle Editors WHAT: 62 nd SAUSALITO ART FESTIVAL Fine art, music, food, and wine come together Labor Day weekend along the Sausalito waterfront ... Read more on this news related to 'Art'
- Kelly: Art Everywhere U.S. gets art out of museums to get people into museums
Copies of famous paintings are popping up as part of Art Everywhere US. Have you seen them? Read more on this news related to 'Art'