Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Armor'
- protective covering made of metal and used in combat [syn: armour]
- a military unit consisting of armored fighting vehicles [syn: armour]
- tough more-or-less rigid protective covering of an animal or plant [syn: armour] v : equip with armor [syn: armour]
- Armor \Ar"mor\, n. [OE. armure, fr. F. armure, OF. armeure, fr.
L. armatura. See Armature.] [Spelt also armour.]
- Defensive arms for the body; any clothing or covering worn to protect one's person in battle. Note: In English statues, armor is used for the whole apparatus of war, including offensive as well as defensive arms. The statues of armor directed what arms every man should provide.
- Steel or iron covering, whether of ships or forts, protecting them from the fire of artillery. Coat armor, the escutcheon of a person or family, with its several charges and other furniture, as mantling, crest, supporters, motto, etc. Submarine, a water-tight dress or covering for a diver. See under Submarine.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Armor'
Armour or armor (see spelling differences) is protective covering used to prevent damage from being inflicted to an object, individual or a vehicle through use of direct contact weapons or projectiles, usually during combat, or from damage caused by a potentially dangerous environment or action (e.g., cycling, sites of construction works) Personal armour is used to protect soldiers, war animals such as war horses (the application for the latter called barding). Vehicle armour is used on things such as warships and armoured fighting vehicles.
Armour has been used throughout recorded history, and manufactured from a variety of materials; starting with rudimentary leather protection, personal armour evolved to mail, full plated suit of armour. For much of military history the manufacture of metal armour in Europe has dominated the technology and employment of armour. Armour production was a cause of the development of many important technologies of the Ancient World, including wood lamination, mining, metal refining, vehicle manufacture (chariot), leather processing, and later decorative metal working. Its production has been influential in the evolving industrial revolution, and influenced commercial development of metallurgy and engineering.[See more about Armor at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Armor'
'Armor' in famous quotation sentence
* Fortitude is the marshal of thought, the armor of the will, and the fort of reason. - Francis Bacon
* The best armor is to keep out of range. - Italian Proverb
Click here for more related quotations on 'Armor'
Armor Sample Sentences in News
- Armor Garage's Newly Formulated Tiles Installed at Kyger Creek Power Station
The operators of the Kyger Creek coal fired power station, located in Cheshire, Ohio, selected Armor Garage's newly formulated floor tiles to resurface the turbine deck of their power station. The new ... Read more on this news related to 'Armor'
- ARMOR Safe Technologies and EZUniverse Inc. Announce Global, Strategic Partnership
Armor Safe Technologies and EZUniverse Inc. , today proudly announced a global strategic partnership that will commence collaboration between the two companies. The new partnership agreement will greatly expand the market footprint for both organizations in the near future. Read more on this news related to 'Armor'
- Point Blank Enterprises Pays It Forward in Honor of Young Boy's Fundraising Efforts to Provide Police Officers with ...
POMPANO BEACH, Fla., Aug. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Point Blank Enterprises ("Point Blank" or "PBE"), the worldwide leader in the production of soft body armor and related protective solutions, will be honoring Officer Greg Milburn from the Indianapolis Metro Police Department, recently shot in the line of duty and saved by his Point Blank body Read more on this news related to 'Armor'