Arid Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- lacking vitality or spirit; lifeless; "a technically perfect but arid performance of the sonata"; "a desiccate romance"; "a prissy and emotionless creature...settles into a mold of desiccated snobbery"-C.J.Rolo
- lacking sufficient water or rainfall; "an arid climate"; "a waterless well"; "miles of waterless country to cross"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Arid'?
Arid Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
An arid environment has a high deficit of rainfall or snow. So there is much less humidity through the year than would be necessary for the demand for evaporation and transpiration. This is mostly due to the high temperatures and few storms that bring rainfall. Regions are classified as arid if their aridity index falls between 0.05 and 0.20.
Most deserts are semi-arid, arid or hyperarid, with the exception of Antarctica.
Words and phrases related to 'Arid'
'Arid' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Arid'
Arid Sample Sentences in News
- Mediterranean, semi-arid ecosystems prove resistant to climate change
Climate change predictions for the Middle East, like other arid regions of the world, are alarming. But in testing these dire predictions, ecologists found that, contrary to expectations, no measurable changes in annual vegetation could be seen. None of the crucial vegetation characteristics -- neither species richness and composition, nor density and biomass -- h Read more on this news related to 'Arid'
- In Arid Iraq, Control Of Water Is Part Of ISIS Arsenal
Water is a crucial resource to those living along the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. NPR's Ari Shapiro talks to researcher Matthew Machowski about how ISIS is using that natural resource as a weapon. Read more on this news related to 'Arid'
- 13 arid counties to benefit from solar lamps
Kenya Power will implement a government plan to procure and distribute 24,500 solar lanterns that will benefit 13 counties in arid and semi-arid areas. Read more on this news related to 'Arid'