Arid Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- lacking vitality or spirit; lifeless; "a technically perfect but arid performance of the sonata"; "a desiccate romance"; "a prissy and emotionless creature...settles into a mold of desiccated snobbery"-C.J.Rolo
- lacking sufficient water or rainfall; "an arid climate"; "a waterless well"; "miles of waterless country to cross"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Arid'?
Arid Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
An arid environment has a high deficit of rainfall or snow. So there is much less humidity through the year than would be necessary for the demand for evaporation and transpiration. This is mostly due to the high temperatures and few storms that bring rainfall. Regions are classified as arid if their aridity index falls between 0.05 and 0.20.
Most deserts are semi-arid, arid or hyperarid, with the exception of Antarctica.
Words and phrases related to 'Arid'
'Arid' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Arid'
Arid Sample Sentences in News
- Jones wines make most of region’s climates - Fri, 19 Sep 2014 PST
In the arid Columbia Basin, a winery is crafting beautiful and affordable wines from some of the warmest and coolest regions in Washington wine country. As a result, few are able to keep up with the Joneses. Read more on this news related to 'Arid'
- Areva to Get Offer From Namibia for Desalination Plant
Namibia’s government will offer to buy Areva SA’s water desalination plant in the country, built at a cost of 3 billion Namibian dollars ($271 million), instead of building its own water desalination plant to supply the semi- arid Erongo region. Read more on this news related to 'Arid'
- WRI Says 38% of World’s Shale Resources Facing Water Stresses
A new analysis shows 38 percent of the world’s shale resources in places such as China, Mexico and South Africa face high to extremely high water stress or arid conditions, according to the World Resources Institute. Read more on this news related to 'Arid'