Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Appropriating'
Appropriating Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Appropriate \Ap*pro"pri*ate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Appropriated; p. pr. & vb. n. Appropriating.]
- To take to one's self in exclusion of others; to claim or use as by an exclusive right; as, let no man appropriate the use of a common benefit.
- To set apart for, or assign to, a particular person or use, in exclusion of all others; -- with to or for; as, a spot of ground is appropriated for a garden; to appropriate money for the increase of the navy.
- To make suitable; to suit. [Archaic] --Paley.
- (Eng. Eccl. Law) To annex, as a benefice, to a spiritual corporation, as its property. --Blackstone.