Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Anxious'
- mentally upset over possible misfortune or danger etc; worried; "anxious parents"; "anxious about her job"; "not used to a city and anxious about small things"; "felt apprehensive about the consequences" [syn: apprehensive]
- eagerly desirous; "anxious to see the new show at the museum"; "dying to hear who won" [syn: anxious(p), dying(p)]
- causing or fraught with or showing anxiety; "spent an anxious night waiting for the test results"; "cast anxious glances behind her"; "those nervous moments before takeoff"; "an unquiet mind" [syn: nervous, uneasy, unquiet]
- Anxious \Anx"ious\ ([a^][ng]k"sh[u^]s), a. [L. anxius, fr.
angere to cause pain, choke; akin to Gr. 'a`gchein to choke.
- Full of anxiety or disquietude; greatly concerned or solicitous, esp. respecting something future or unknown; being in painful suspense; -- applied to persons; as, anxious for the issue of a battle.
- Accompanied with, or causing, anxiety; worrying; -- applied to things; as, anxious labor. The sweet of life, from which God hath bid dwell far off all anxious cares. --Milton.
- Earnestly desirous; as, anxious to please. He sneers alike at those who are anxious to preserve and at those who are eager for reform. --Macaulay. Note: Anxious is followed by for, about, concerning, etc., before the object of solicitude. Syn: Solicitous; careful; uneasy; unquiet; restless; concerned; disturbed; watchful.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Anxious'
Anxiety is a psychological and physiological state characterized by somatic, emotional, cognitive, and behavioral components.
Anxiety is a generalized mood condition that can often occur without an identifiable triggering stimulus. As such, it is distinguished from fear, which is an emotional response to a perceived threat. Additionally, fear is related to the specific behaviors of escape and avoidance, whereas anxiety is related to situations perceived as uncontrollable or unavoidable. suggesting that it is a distinction between future vs. present dangers which divides anxiety and fear.
Physical effects of anxiety may include heart palpitations, muscle weakness and tension, fatigue, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, stomach aches, or headaches. The body prepares to deal with a threat: blood pressure and heart rate are increased, sweating is increased, blood flow to the major muscle groups is increased, and immune and digestive system functions are inhibited (the fight or flight response). External signs of anxiety may include pale skin, sweating, trembling, and pupillary dilation. Someone who has anxiety might also experience it as a sense of dread or panic. Although panic attacks are not experienced by every person who has anxiety, they are a common symptom. Panic attacks usually come without warning, and although the fear is generally irrational, the perception of danger is very real. A person experiencing a panic attack will often feel as if he or she is about to die or pass out.[See more about Anxious at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Anxious'
'Anxious' in famous quotation sentence
* It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations. Bartlett's Familiar Quotations is an admirable work, and I studied it intently. The quotations when engraved upon the memory give you good thoughts. They also make you anxious to read the authors and look for more. - Sir Winston Churchill
* The partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers of his own assertions. - Plato
Click here for more related quotations on 'Anxious'
Anxious Sample Sentences in News
- Anxious Markets Await ECB Decision
?Should we do anything?? That?s the question facing two of the world?s most influential central banks today at their respective monetary policy meetings. For Governor Mark Carney at the Bank of England, the market expects it to be a non-event featuring the same decision, same rhetoric, and same direction. However, for the European Central Bank (ECB), there have be Read more on this news related to 'Anxious'
- Corbys face an anxious wait
The Corbys are waiting to find out if Schapelle will be sent back to jail for breaching her parole conditions. Read more on this news related to 'Anxious'
- Fish on Prozac Prove Anxious, Antisocial, Aggressive
New research has found that the pharmaceuticals, which are frequently showing up in U.S. streams, can alter genes responsible for building fish brains and controlling their behavior -- Read more on ScientificAmerican.com Read more on this news related to 'Anxious'