Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Anomaly'
- deviation from the normal or common order or form or rule [syn: anomalousness]
- a person who is unusual [syn: unusual person]
- (astronomy) position of a planet as defined by its angular distance from its perihelion (as observed from the sun)
- Anomaly \A*nom"a*ly\, n.; pl. Anomalies. [L. anomalia, Gr. ?.
- Deviation from the common rule; an irregularity; anything anomalous. We are enabled to unite into a consistent whole the various anomalies and contending principles that are found in the minds and affairs of men. --Burke. As Professor Owen has remarked, there is no greater anomaly in nature than a bird that can not fly. --Darwin.
- (Astron.) (a) The angular distance of a planet from its perihelion, as seen from the sun. This is the true anomaly. The eccentric anomaly is a corresponding angle at the center of the elliptic orbit of the planet. The mean anomaly is what the anomaly would be if the planet's angular motion were uniform. (b) The angle measuring apparent irregularities in the motion of a planet.
- (Nat. Hist.) Any deviation from the essential characteristics of a specific type.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Anomaly'
An anomaly is any occurrence or object that is strange, unusual, or unique. It can also mean a discrepancy or deviation from an established rule, trend, or pattern.
In the following contexts, "anomaly" may refer to:
In astronomy, an anomaly is a quantity measured with respect to an apsis, usually the periapsis. Similarly, "anomalous" is synonymous with "apsidal".
An anomalous phenomenon is something that unique or unusual that cannot be scientifically explained. These phenomena can range from unidentified flying objects to what we believe to be ghosts or spirits. Another way to put it is paranormal studies. This just means the study of things that are out of the norm. For hundreds of thousands of years people have come up with stories, myths, and even true accounts of seeing paranormal anomalies. “Ghosts”, as most call them; can appear as full bodied humans or even just a floating glimmer of light. The one thing is about these phenomena is that we can’t explain them. There have been many scientifically based test to try and find an explanation for these anomalies, yet there still just isn’t an answer. Although they can’t be explained or identified, we have found out some things that occur when in the presence of one of these anomalies. People who have tried to find an explanation for the phenomenon sometimes use an EMF (electro-magnetic field) device that measures the electric field in a certain area. These devices usually read a very high electronic field in the presence of ghosts because ghosts are said to feed off of electric fields and that’s how they are able to be seen. Other devices used to try and explain ad even communicate with ghosts is to use an EVP (electronic voice phenomenon) recorder. Paranormal scientist use this device by asking questions and sometimes the anomalies use the electric current in the air the send responses that can be recorded on this device. Although there are many who believe in ghosts and paranormal activity, there are also those who think it is a hoax. This raises the question that I would like to research: Are these anomalies real or just a figure of our inner imagination. The human imagination can be very powerful. Our imagination can even make us believe we are seeing something that really is not there. Personally I am a believer. I have had a paranormal experience before and ever since that day I have been very interested in the subject. Along with thousands of people I have looked for a way to explain paranormal phenomena and along with the many I still cannot prove they are real. There are also tons of shows on television such as “Ghosts Adventures” and “Ghost Lab” that use the expensive and high tech devices that I explained earlier and they try and prove that these anomalies are real. This could be one of those subjects that will forever be a personal opinion based on people’s experiences and beliefs but I feel that eventually we will be able to prove them. Imagination seems to be the most common explanation for paranormal activity but people need to open their minds to the unexplained. I want to research different ways to try and explain paranormal activity other than using expensive devices. Even these high tech instruments are not scientifically proven so what is shown on these shows very well could be a misconception. It is ignorant to believe that they are completely imagination because of the lack of knowledge we have in the subject and to think that we are the only ones inhabiting this world. This is a topic that I think people are scared to seriously look into. The common feeling that people get when thinking about ghosts is fright. There is no need to be scared of what we can’t even explain. The only way to study this phenomenon is to interview people who have had experiences with the paranormal and compare information received to draw better conclusions about what they are, how do they exist, and what causes them to find a way to show themselves to humans. From gathering this information we will be able to form a better conclusion of paranormal phenomena.[See more about Anomaly at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Anomaly'
Anomaly Sample Sentences in News
- Summer anomaly brings chilly days to residents between sweltering coasts
Scorching temperatures are setting records this week as heat waves roll over Canada’s East and West, while residents in Central Canada who are experiencing a particularly chilly summer are left longing for a few sweltering days. The reason for the abnormal summer weather could be extreme fluctuations in the jet stream, according to weather experts. A heat wav Read more on this news related to 'Anomaly'
- Jet stream anomaly brings heat waves to coasts, chilly days to central Canada
Scorching temperatures are setting records this week as heat waves roll over Canada’s East and West, while residents in Central Canada who are experiencing a particularly chilly summer are left longing for a few sweltering days. Read more on this news related to 'Anomaly'
- Funding puts asthma anomaly under scrutiny
Health researchers at Massey University have been awarded nearly $1.2 million to identify an anomaly in one particular underlying cause of asthma in New Zealand. Read more on this news related to 'Anomaly'