Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Angry'
- feeling or showing anger; "angry at the weather"; "angry customers"; "an angry silence"; "sending angry letters to the papers" [ant: unangry(p)]
- (of the elements) as if showing violent anger; "angry clouds on the horizon"; "furious winds"; "the raging sea" [syn: furious, raging, tempestuous, wild]
- severely inflamed and painful; "an angry sore" [also: angriest, angrier]
- Angry \An"gry\, a. [Compar. Angrier; superl. Angriest.] [See
- Troublesome; vexatious; rigorous. [Obs.] God had provided a severe and angry education to chastise the forwardness of a young spirit. --Jer. Taylor.
- Inflamed and painful, as a sore.
- Touched with anger; under the emotion of anger; feeling resentment; enraged; -- followed generally by with before a person, and at before a thing. Be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves. --Gen. xlv. 5. Wherefore should God be angry at thy voice? --Eccles. v. 6.
- Showing anger; proceeding from anger; acting as if moved by anger; wearing the marks of anger; as, angry words or tones; an angry sky; angry waves. ``An angry countenance.'' --Prov. xxv. 23.
- Red. [R.] Sweet rose, whose hue, angry and brave. --Herbert.
- Sharp; keen; stimulated. [R.] I never ate with angrier appetite. --Tennyson. Syn: Passionate; resentful; irritated; irascible; indignant; provoked; enraged; incensed; exasperated; irate; hot; raging; furious; wrathful; wroth; choleric; inflamed; infuriated.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Angry'
Anger is an emotion related to one's perception of having been offended or wronged and a tendency to undo that wrongdoing by retaliation. Videbeck Anger can have many physical and mental consequences.
The external expression of anger can be found in facial expressions, body language, physiological responses, and at times in public acts of aggression.
Modern psychologists view anger as a primary, natural, and mature emotion experienced by virtually all humans at times, and as something that has functional value for survival. Anger can mobilize psychological resources for corrective action. Uncontrolled anger can, however, negatively affect personal or social well-being.
Three types of anger are recognized by psychologists: The first form of anger, named "hasty and sudden anger" by Joseph Butler, an 18th century English bishop, is connected to the impulse for self-preservation. It is shared between humans and non-human animals and occurs when tormented or trapped. The second type of anger is named "settled and deliberate" anger and is a reaction to perceived deliberate harm or unfair treatment by others. These two forms of anger are episodic. The third type of anger is however dispositional and is related more to character traits than to instincts or cognitions. Irritability, sullenness and churlishness postures are examples of the last form of anger.[See more about Angry at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Angry'
'Angry' in famous quotation sentence
* It is easy to fly into a passion--anybody can do that--but to be angry with the right person and at the right time and with the right object and in the right way--that is not easy, and it is not everyone who can do it. - Aristotle
* Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy. - Aristotle
Click here for more related quotations on 'Angry'
Angry Sample Sentences in News
- Angry bikers take to the streets to protest lower speed limit
Thousands of "angry bikers" took to the streets across France on Saturday to protest against government plans to slash the speed limit on non-motorway roads. The French Federation of Angry Bikers (FFCM) said "tens of thousands" of motorcyclists donned their leathers to object to proposals to cut the speed limit on secondary roads from 90 km per Read more on this news related to 'Angry'
- Angry at Work? Have a Snack.
A new study reveals that low blood pressure depletes our self-control, turning us into aggressive voodoo-stabbing versions of ourselves. Read more on this news related to 'Angry'
- Yes, Angry Birds Go! could knock Nintendo's Mario Kart off its perch
Rovio's next game speeds off in a bold new direction, but move into free-to-play has its risks Hot on the heels of Angry Birds Star Wars II , Finnish firm Rovio has announced plans for its next game. Angry Birds Go! breaks out of the bird-hurling formula though: it's a Mario Kart-style karting game. It will be released on 11 December for iOS, Android, Wind Read more on this news related to 'Angry'