Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Angry'
- feeling or showing anger; "angry at the weather"; "angry customers"; "an angry silence"; "sending angry letters to the papers" [ant: unangry(p)]
- (of the elements) as if showing violent anger; "angry clouds on the horizon"; "furious winds"; "the raging sea" [syn: furious, raging, tempestuous, wild]
- severely inflamed and painful; "an angry sore" [also: angriest, angrier]
- Angry \An"gry\, a. [Compar. Angrier; superl. Angriest.] [See
- Troublesome; vexatious; rigorous. [Obs.] God had provided a severe and angry education to chastise the forwardness of a young spirit. --Jer. Taylor.
- Inflamed and painful, as a sore.
- Touched with anger; under the emotion of anger; feeling resentment; enraged; -- followed generally by with before a person, and at before a thing. Be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves. --Gen. xlv. 5. Wherefore should God be angry at thy voice? --Eccles. v. 6.
- Showing anger; proceeding from anger; acting as if moved by anger; wearing the marks of anger; as, angry words or tones; an angry sky; angry waves. ``An angry countenance.'' --Prov. xxv. 23.
- Red. [R.] Sweet rose, whose hue, angry and brave. --Herbert.
- Sharp; keen; stimulated. [R.] I never ate with angrier appetite. --Tennyson. Syn: Passionate; resentful; irritated; irascible; indignant; provoked; enraged; incensed; exasperated; irate; hot; raging; furious; wrathful; wroth; choleric; inflamed; infuriated.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Angry'
Anger is an emotion related to one's perception of having been offended or wronged and a tendency to undo that wrongdoing by retaliation. Videbeck Anger can have many physical and mental consequences.
The external expression of anger can be found in facial expressions, body language, physiological responses, and at times in public acts of aggression.
Modern psychologists view anger as a primary, natural, and mature emotion experienced by virtually all humans at times, and as something that has functional value for survival. Anger can mobilize psychological resources for corrective action. Uncontrolled anger can, however, negatively affect personal or social well-being.
Three types of anger are recognized by psychologists: The first form of anger, named "hasty and sudden anger" by Joseph Butler, an 18th century English bishop, is connected to the impulse for self-preservation. It is shared between humans and non-human animals and occurs when tormented or trapped. The second type of anger is named "settled and deliberate" anger and is a reaction to perceived deliberate harm or unfair treatment by others. These two forms of anger are episodic. The third type of anger is however dispositional and is related more to character traits than to instincts or cognitions. Irritability, sullenness and churlishness postures are examples of the last form of anger.[See more about Angry at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Angry'
'Angry' in famous quotation sentence
* It is easy to fly into a passion--anybody can do that--but to be angry with the right person and at the right time and with the right object and in the right way--that is not easy, and it is not everyone who can do it. - Aristotle
* Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy. - Aristotle
Click here for more related quotations on 'Angry'
Angry Sample Sentences in News
- Angry scenes as Chinese MH370 relatives meet airline staff
A meeting between relatives of Chinese passengers aboard missing flight MH370 and Malaysia Airlines staff descended into chaos […] Read more on this news related to 'Angry'
- Angry Muslims in Central African Republic call for partition
By Emmanuel Braun BAMBARI, Central African Republic (Reuters) - In this dusty town at the heart of the Central African Republic, many angry Muslims advocate a simple solution to the threat of religious violence from Christian militias terrorizing the country's south: partition. Bambari lies near the dividing line separating Central African Republic's Chris Read more on this news related to 'Angry'
- ‘Angry’ Geldof regrets Peaches rift
BOB Geldof has admitted he is “angry” about his distance from daughter Peaches in the weeks before her death. Read more on this news related to 'Angry'