Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Anger'
- a strong emotion; a feeling that is oriented toward some real or supposed grievance [syn: choler, ire]
- the state of being angry [syn: angriness]
- belligerence aroused by a real or supposed wrong (personified as one of the deadly sins) [syn: wrath, ire, ira] v
- make angry; "The news angered him"
- become angry; "He angers easily" [syn: see red]
- Anger \An"ger\, n. [OE. anger, angre, affliction, anger, fr.
Icel. angr affliction, sorrow; akin to Dan. anger regret,
Swed. [*a]nger regret, AS. ange oppressed, sad, L. angor a
strangling, anguish, angere to strangle, Gr. ? to strangle,
Skr. amhas pain, and to. anguish, anxious, quinsy, and perh.
awe, ugly. The word seems to have orig. meant to choke,
- Trouble; vexation; also, physical pain or smart of a sore, etc. [Obs.] I made the experiment, setting the moxa where . . . the greatest anger and soreness still continued. --Temple.
- A strong passion or emotion of displeasure or antagonism, excited by a real or supposed injury or insult to one's self or others, or by the intent to do such injury. Anger is like A full hot horse, who being allowed his way, Self-mettle tires him. --Shak. Syn: Resentment; wrath; rage; fury; passion; ire gall; choler; indignation; displeasure; vexation; grudge; spleen. Usage: Anger, Indignation, Resentment, Wrath, Ire, Rage, Fury. Anger is a feeling of keen displeasure (usually with a desire to punish) for what we regard as wrong toward ourselves or others. It may be excessive or misplaced, but is not necessarily criminal. Indignation is a generous outburst of anger in view of things which are indigna, or unworthy to be done, involving what is mean, cruel, flagitious, etc., in character or conduct. Resentment is often a moody feeling, leading one to brood over his supposed personal wrongs with a deep and lasting anger. See
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Anger'
Anger is an emotion related to one's perception of having been offended or wronged and a tendency to undo that wrongdoing by retaliation. Videbeck Anger can have many physical and mental consequences.
The external expression of anger can be found in facial expressions, body language, physiological responses, and at times in public acts of aggression.
Modern psychologists view anger as a primary, natural, and mature emotion experienced by virtually all humans at times, and as something that has functional value for survival. Anger can mobilize psychological resources for corrective action. Uncontrolled anger can, however, negatively affect personal or social well-being.
Three types of anger are recognized by psychologists: The first form of anger, named "hasty and sudden anger" by Joseph Butler, an 18th century English bishop, is connected to the impulse for self-preservation. It is shared between humans and non-human animals and occurs when tormented or trapped. The second type of anger is named "settled and deliberate" anger and is a reaction to perceived deliberate harm or unfair treatment by others. These two forms of anger are episodic. The third type of anger is however dispositional and is related more to character traits than to instincts or cognitions. Irritability, sullenness and churlishness postures are examples of the last form of anger.[See more about Anger at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Anger'
'Anger' in famous quotation sentence
* Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
* Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten. - Buddha
Click here for more related quotations on 'Anger'
Anger Sample Sentences in News
- Anger brewing in Jadavpur varsity over police action
Anger continues to brew at the Jadavpur University in south Kolkata over the use of force by the police to end an overnight siege. Students brought out a huge rally on Wednesday, demanding the res... Read more on this news related to 'Anger'
- 'Anger Management' Star Joins NHL Reality Show
The Canadian series will follow the lives of hockey stars' better halves Read more on this news related to 'Anger'
- Anger mounts over emergency service levy hike
Mounting anger at steep increases to the emergency services levy has spilled over in South Australian Parliament. Read more on this news related to 'Anger'