Anchor Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- a mechanical device that prevents a vessel from moving [syn: ground tackle]
- a central cohesive source of support and stability; "faith is his anchor"; "the keystone of campaign reform was the ban on soft money"; "he is the linchpin of this firm" [syn: mainstay, keystone, backbone, linchpin, lynchpin]
- a television reporter who coordinates a broadcast to which several correspondents contribute [syn: anchorman, anchorperson] v
- fix firmly and stably; "anchor the lamppost in concrete" [syn: ground]
- secure a vessel with an anchor; "We anchored at Baltimore" [syn: cast anchor, drop anchor]
- Anchor \An"chor\ ([a^][ng]"k[~e]r), n. [OE. anker, AS. ancor,
oncer, L. ancora, sometimes spelt anchora, fr. Gr. 'a`gkyra,
akin to E. angle: cf. F. ancre. See Angle, n.]
- A iron instrument which is attached to a ship by a cable (rope or chain), and which, being cast overboard, lays hold of the earth by a fluke or hook and thus retains the ship in a particular station. Note: The common anchor consists of a straight bar called a shank, having at one end a transverse bar called a stock, above which is a ring for the cable, and at the other end the crown, from which branch out two or more arms with flukes, forming with the shank a suitable angle to enter the ground. Note: Formerly the largest and strongest anchor was the sheet anchor (hence, Fig., best hope or last refuge), called also waist anchor. Now the bower and the sheet anchor are usually alike. Then came the best bower and the small bower (so called from being carried on the bows). The stream anchor is one fourth the weight of the bower anchor. Kedges or kedge anchors are light anchors used in warping.
- Any instrument or contrivance serving a purpose like that of a ship's anchor, as an arrangement of timber to hold a dam fast; a contrivance to hold the end of a bridge cable, or other similar part; a contrivance used by founders to hold the core of a mold in place.
- Fig.: That which gives stability or security; that on which we place dependence for safety. Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul. --Heb.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Anchor'?
Anchor Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Anchors are used to stop boats from moving. Today, anchors are usually made of metal, and they are made to catch the ocean floor (the seabed).
There are two main types of anchors: temporary and permanent. A permanent anchor is called a mooring block and is not easily moved. A temporary anchor can be moved and is carried on the boat. When people talk about anchors, they are usually thinking about temporary anchors.
An anchor works by either weight (mass) or shape. Shape is more important to temporary anchors, and design is very important. Anchors must resist wind and tide, and also the up-and-down movement of waves.
The oldest anchors were just rocks, and many rock anchors have been found from a long time ago. Many modern moorings still use a large rock as the mooring block.[See more about Anchor at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Anchor'
'Anchor' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Anchor'
Anchor Sample Sentences in News
- Lisa LaFlamme named 'Best News Anchor, National' at Canadian Screen Awards
CTV National News Chief Anchor and Senior Editor Lisa LaFlamme has been named Best News Anchor at the 2014 Canadian Screen Awards. Read more on this news related to 'Anchor'
- Most popular videos: 'RT Anchor Quits On Air,' 'Transformers' trailer and others
A homeless man wins the lottery, a news anchor quits on national television and celebrities float on hoverboards. Details of these and other most popular YouTube videos on Friday, March 7 can be found below. Read more on this news related to 'Anchor'
- Anchor Liz Wahl Quits Kremlin-Funded RT-America Live on Air
American anchor Liz Wahl quit her job at RT-America in spectacular fashionWednesday, announcing her resignation live on the air after her5 p.m.news broadcast. Personally I cannot be part of a network that whitewashes the actions of [Vladimir]Putin, Wahl said before walking off the air. I am proud to be an American and believe in disseminating the truth and that is Read more on this news related to 'Anchor'