Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ample'
- more than enough in size or scope or capacity; "had ample food for the party"; "an ample supply" [ant: meager]
- affording an abundant supply; "had ample food for the party"; "copious provisions"; "food is plentiful"; "a plenteous grape harvest"; "a rich supply" [syn: copious, plenteous, plentiful, rich]
- fairly large; "a sizable fortune"; "an ample waistline"; "of ample proportions" [syn: sizable, sizeable]
- Ample \Am"ple\, a. [F. ample, L. amplus, prob. for ambiplus full
on both sides, the last syllable akin to L. plenus full. See
Full, and cf. Double.]
Large; great in size, extent, capacity, or bulk; spacious;
roomy; widely extended.
All the people in that ample house Did to that image
bow their humble knees. --Spenser.
- Fully sufficient; abundant; liberal; copious; as, an ample fortune; ample justice.
- Not contracted of brief; not concise; extended; diffusive; as, an ample narrative. --Johnson. Syn: Full; spacious; extensive; wide; capacious; abundant; plentiful; plenteous; copious; bountiful; rich; liberal; munificent. Usage: Ample, Copious, Abundant, Plenteous. These words agree in representing a thing as large, but under different relations, according to the image which is used. Ample implies largeness, producing a sufficiency or fullness of supply for every want; as, ample stores or resources, ample provision. Copious carries with it the idea of flow, or of collection at a single point; as, a copious supply of materials. ``Copious matter of my song.'' --Milton. Abundant and plenteous refer to largeness of quantity; as, abundant stores; plenteous harvests.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ample'
In algebraic geometry, a very ample line bundle L is one with enough sections to set up an embedding of its base variety or manifold M into projective space. An ample line bundle is one such that some positive power is very ample. Globally generated sheaves are those with enough sections to define a morphism to projective space.
Let X be a scheme or a complex manifold and F a sheaf on X. One says that F is generated by (finitely many) global sections , if every stalk of F is generated by the germs of the ai. For example, if F happens to be a line bundle, i.e. locally free of rank 1, this amounts to having finitely many global sections, such that for any point x in X, there is at least one section not vanishing at this point. In this case a choice of such global generators a0, ..., an gives a morphism[See more about Ample at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Ample'
'Ample' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Ample'
Ample Sample Sentences in News
- Experts surprised as missing MAS plane has ample safety features
There are ample safety features in the Boeing 777-200 aircraft, prompting several aviation experts to question what really happened to the Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight which went missing early this morning after taking off from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. "The airplane by certification has to have battery back-up power – they... Read more on this news related to 'Ample'
- US finds ample opportunities for investors in Dubai
Penny Pritzker speaks at a reception hosted by the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry on Tuesday. Read more on this news related to 'Ample'
- Kim Kardashian shakes off car crash by flaunting ample cleavage on flight with Khloé and Kourtney
North West's mum narrowly avoids nipple slip wardrobe malfunction in all-black outfit Read more on this news related to 'Ample'