Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ambidextrous'
- equally skillful with each hand; "an ambidextrous surgeon" [syn: two-handed] [ant: right-handed, left-handed]
- marked by deliberate deceptiveness especially by pretending one set of feelings and acting under the influence of another; "she was a deceitful scheming little thing"- Israel Zangwill; "a double-dealing double agent"; "a double-faced infernal traitor and schemer"- W.M.Thackeray [syn: deceitful, double-dealing, duplicitous, Janus-faced, two-faced, double-faced, double-tongued]
- Ambidextrous \Am`bi*dex"trous\, a.
- Having the faculty of using both hands with equal ease. --Sir T. Browne.
- Practicing or siding with both parties. All false, shuffling, and ambidextrous dealings. --L'Estrange.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ambidextrous'
Ambidexterity is the state of being equally adept in the use of both left and right appendages (such as the hands). It is one of the most famous varieties of cross-dominance. People that are naturally ambidextrous are rare, with only one out of one hundred people being naturally ambidextrous. The degree of versatility with each hand is generally the qualitative factor in determining a person's ambidexterity.
In modern times, it is more common to find people considered ambidextrous who were originally left handed and who learned to be ambidextrous either deliberately or during childhood institutions such as schools where right-handed habits are often emphasized or required. Also, since many everyday devices (such as can openers and scissors) are asymmetrical and designed for right-handed people, many left-handers learn to use them right-handedly due to the rarity or lack of left-handed models. Thus, left-handed people are much more likely to develop motor skills in their non-dominant hand than right-handers (who are not subjected to left-favoring devices). Right-handers may become ambidextrous due to an injury of their right hand or arm. Ambidexterity is often encouraged in activities requiring a great deal of skill in both hands, such as juggling, swimming, percussion, keyboard music, baseball, lacrosse, surgery, boxing, martial arts and basketball.[See more about Ambidextrous at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Ambidextrous'
Ambidextrous Sample Sentences in News
- A Rational Conversation: What's With All The Drummers Leading Late-Night Bands?
Robin DiMaggio, who leads The Arsenio Hall Show band, says drummers, who have to be ambidextrous to play their instrument, can drive the music and multitask like champions. Read more on this news related to 'Ambidextrous'
- SR Suntour Epicon TR L-OR suspension fork review
Suntour has been building its own (and others’) budget forks for years, and the well-evolved Epicon series is available in 100mm, 120mm and 140mm travel for 2014. The hollow crown keeps it light and all the caps and knobs are metal, which is impressive for under £300. The ambidextrous 15mm QLoc expanding cam axle is equal parts clever and frustrating – it hel Read more on this news related to 'Ambidextrous'